cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Mobile phone signal

Anonymous
Not applicable
I live in an area where o2 is the only useable signal,albeit still very weak. At my home address I have to stand by an upstairs window or go outside to make or receive calls.
I heard that a booster is available to plug in at home to improve the signal around the house.
Is this true and if so information please.
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
discodave those devices are prohibited from use in the uk under the wireless telegraphy act. Up to £5000 fine if caught using one.

I am sure a prosecution would be unlikely if the product was bought from a British reseller in good faith and you played sufficiently dumb.
Oh and keeping quiet about owning such an item would be a good idea.

No they pretty much hammer any users of said devices, one being a Hospital last year that paid out 50k for a "booster" which really messed up all the radio signals in the area, removed and fined.
Message 11 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
discodave those devices are prohibited from use in the uk under the wireless telegraphy act. Up to £5000 fine if caught using one.

I am sure a prosecution would be unlikely if the product was bought from a British reseller in good faith and you played sufficiently dumb.
Oh and keeping quiet about owning such an item would be a good idea.

No they pretty much hammer any users of said devices, one being a Hospital last year that paid out 50k for a "booster" which really messed up all the radio signals in the area, removed and fined.

You are talking about two quite different things!! :womanindifferent:
Message 12 of 23

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
Ignorance of the law is no defence - unfortunately.
The silly thing is it's ok to buy and sell this kit, but illegal to use it in the UK.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 13 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are talking about two quite different things!! :womanindifferent:

No we are not, these "devices" come in all different shapes and sizes, from small to quite large, they all come under the same law and are treated the same when it comes to confiscation and prosecution.
Tony
Message 14 of 23

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 313 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Any links for that case?
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 15 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
It was on the OFCOM website, been a while though, you get a few popping up on there wink wink
Message 16 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
There have been several reported cases of these devices causing interference to other users.
They can also radiate at other frequencies, due to poor RF design.
It really is irresponsible to recommend use of these devices. At the very least a user will breach their airtime contract and will be disconnected. They may well be fined and if interference is caused to TETRA / Airwave or similar then prison is very likely.
Acting dumb won't work, because the retailers of there devices cover themselves by having warnings.
Message 17 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had an accident on the M4 (off Heston) on Friday eve 29 October and as a result of a poor signal from O2 I was unable to call my road assistance or even my insurance. The area I had the crash ws only 10mins away from the Chiswick roundabout yet no evidence of any O2 signal. The guy who crashed onto my car was on Vodafone and I had to use his mobile to ask for help. Nice er? O2 is just an unreliable service provider. When I called their customer services, they blamed my lack of signal to bad weather conditions when in reality there was some light rain! I have been unhappy with them for quite some time now but this was the icing on the cake. Back to Vodafone again even if that means I have to pay more.
Message 18 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am aware these things come in different shapes and sizes. I am also aware of their effective range and REALLY doubt that Airwave or the likes of, would suffer at the hands of a £60 ebay signal booster.
I very aware of Airwave and even remember testing it and three other systems during its demo at a football ground.

I think there has been far too much drama exercised in this thread and common sense needs to be applied. I would never recommend breaking the law in any way shape or form but I am entitled to be realistic. This thread seemed to be turning into a melting pot of doo-goodism and moral high ground champions.
I have had bucket loads of experience of using my discretion and applying real world common sense, to determine whether the law needed to be applied or not. I expect people in here to apply their own common sense and I object to anybody in here attempting to give me lessons in responsibility.

Keep it real!!
Message 19 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ignorance of the law is no defence - unfortunately.
The silly thing is it's ok to buy and sell this kit, but illegal to use it in the UK.

Not quite true for the UK, thankfully.
Message 20 of 23