Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone purchased and new line set up Fraudulently in my name

DavidK
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Noticed a hit on my credit score and after checking confirmed that and iPhone had been purchased in my name and delivered to my old address along with a new line set up again in my name.  I contacted the O2 Fraud team(email, no acknowledgement ) and then visited a store (They were very helpful) after 2 weeks of not hearing anything. Was told it would be escalated and someone from the fraud team would contact me, that was 3 weeks ago, still nothing.

Today I called customer service again only to not be able to speak to the fraud team and related the entire story yet again.  Today I am again promised that it has been escalated further and that I will receive a call in 24 - 48 hours.

This had  a huge impact on my credit score and is still not resolved. It seems odd that when I log into my actual valid account in My Priority that there is the additional security of 2 factor, to claim my free Greggs roll,  and yet someone was able to buy a £1,200 phone along with a 36 month contact without even the basic of checks from O2, I'm sure they did not know the name of my first pet.  Lets hope O2 do eventually call me back and get this resolved given it is now month since reported and no follow up other than me continually chasing

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23467 Posts
  • 1034 Topics
  • 3744 Solutions

@Anonymous can you please assist @DavidK?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bambino thanks for the tag @DavidK will private message you regarding this issue.

O2Simon

Message 3 of 8

DavidK
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Of course 02 managed to exceed expectations after 2 further calls and yet another promise that my case had been escalated to a manager and fraud team again.  As expected an additional assurance a week ago that O2 would contact me within 24-48 hours came and went 5 days ago.  I do love the way that even logging into my O2 account that password and 2 factor are needed to cheat in the community,  its just a shame when O2 have access to all my details and repeatedly assure me that my security is priority that someone could still buy a 3 1,200 and set up a 3 year account in my name. Even bigger problem is the complete lack of desire to resolve the issue.  Time for twitter I think  

Message 4 of 8

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37203 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1697 Solutions

Trying to get traction with many people on annual leave is a challenge, @DavidK - tagging @O2Jonathan who is on now to see where your case is held-up.

Also links for O2 Twitter and Facebook just below, if you need them. Good luck!

Message 5 of 8

O2Jonathan
Former Staff
  • 66 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

thank you for the tag @pgn , I will private message you now @DavidK .

signature
Message 6 of 8

DavidK
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Over a month later PM's, store visits, too many "customer service" jury out on that one! still no further forward than 2 months ago.  I am now receiving debt collection letters and yet zero engagement from O2 despite emails to both the fraud team and O2 complaints service.  After yet another call and the empty promise of an "escalation to my my manger and promise the fraud team will contact me (email, write, phone you have them all) I wasted a crazy amount of time trying to get this resolved.  Users beware you have been warned.  I think I need to resort ton the good old social media twitter and FB to get some engagement.  Wish me luck.

Message 7 of 8

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10555 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3093 Solutions

@DavidK 

Social Media wont help you in this case, as if fraud has been committed then what o2 are allowed to tell you is restricted by law and FCA rules.  

And if it has been passed to the police, then o2 again are not allowed to tell you anything, as it is part of a criminal investigation.. 

Fraud cases can take a long time to resolve, and 3 weeks in fairness (allowing for Christmas breaks etc) is not a long time. 

I would put a note of correction on your credit report, ensure all your email, and personal details are not easily found on Social Media etc, and also report to Action Fraud https://www.actionfraud.police.uk 

Also ask for a protection marker to be put on your credit file, have a google for CIFAS..

Not to offend and dont take this the wrong way, but it could be you they are investigating as well, where you negligible with your personal data, did you give someone a one time passcode, do you have a history of fraud... does your address have a fraud risk rating, a lots of other data points.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 8 of 8