Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partially Deaf (older) ladys decision re new mobile phone

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi if U have reviewed earlier posts I'm trying to decide on a new phone. Ive trialled the Amplicomms M9500 smartphone  and Amplicomms mobile 7500 (now 7501?) 

I could hear the ring & notify.

The smartphone( from Hearing Direct) might be good for an elderly person not used to a  mobile smartphone who needs to keep in contact with mobile owning family.

The front page is simple in terms of messages and calls.

Family can remotely help with any  set up and other problems.A good idea if you have that type of support.I doubt many UK families can be on tap often enough for this.

I takes 2 sim cards and phone card which might be helpful

I decided against this phone. It was too simple,but  the more advanced options too complicated.

I looked through the email and apps. I must have touched an app as Ive been getting the daily Telegraph sent to me 3 times a day  and can't stop it !!

the sent button on texts is too close to the writing line. I kept pressing sent  on a text in error as the button is too close to the screen for writing. My family got annoyed receiving messages in 3 parts which didnt happen with other phones.

Its also expensive which is ok if its right for you.

Amplicomms and 02 would offer help with set up. 

This might be an ok phone but  buy it from a firm offering 30 day trial (return it within 25 days - and notify first)

Ive opted for the 7500 (7501) mobile from Action for Hearing Loss (VAT free for people with hearing loss).

It sits nicely in the hand .

The ring is very loud , and the ring and notify are loud ,- this can be softened with the press of a button on the shell.

I didnt find any predictive text or a few other texting issues but hope they are in the huge  online manual.

It takes reasonabllle little photos tho I will miss a larger smartphone camera.

This phone will be my external means of communication and the mobile only family can use it. 

I might buy & share a tablet with my hubby to cover cover the 'smart' parts,  photos, email and apps. Plus we can use this for maps, GPS etc on a bigger screen.

Again buy and test it from a  firm offering 28-30 day trial. A deaf person must know that an expensive item is right for them.

Thats it folks. The phone will be used at home and abroad shortly , Any hiccups will be reported , Its hoped that moderate to mildly severe deaf users can benefit from this. Ive reccommended it to my cousin.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

It's great that you have tested these phones to find one that suits you @Jenny105 and I'm sure your reports on here will be a great help to others.

Thank you for your time taken on this.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 16

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Well done @Jenny105FantasticMexican Wave

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Jenny105Thank you so much for testing and providing us with reviews of these phones. I am sure we have all learnt an awful lot. Well done indeed. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Jenny105Not sure if you are aware of this but O2 offers a reward system for members who contribute to the forum. Last month we nominated you for this award here. https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/Community-Rewards-January-2017/td-p/1036554/highlight/tru...

I will leave you to read it but basically you need to PM @Martin-O2 with your mobile number and your reward will be credited to your account. Well done wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 16

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Great reviews, and advice as well.
Thanks!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 16

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey @Jenny105 great review, thanks for posting that. Very useful information. Looking forward to reading your thoughts on how you're getting on with the phone after using it for a while. slight_smile

Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you @Jenny105 for a great post

atm I can hear alright 

I listen regularly to BBC Radio 4's programme 'See Hear' on a Tuesday evening

Message 8 of 16

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
I don't know that one thanks. I've been asked to join a group promoting deafawareness in local churches.
Message 9 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Jenny105 wrote:
I don't know that one thanks. I've been asked to join a group promoting deafawareness in local churches.

Excellent news @Jenny105. I'm sure you will bring a wealth of knowledge to the group. Well done wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 16