Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overcharging for OnePlus phone contracts

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I upgraded last night, and was all set to upgrade my existing OnePlus 3T to OnePlus 6.  However, when I looked at the available tariffs for OnePlus contracts I thought they were expensive.  In the end I went with a Huawei P20 Pro at a much better deal.

I got the Huawei P20 Pro at £37 per month with 4GB of data and Unlimited texts & minutes.  The phone was £109.99 up-front, although I took advantage of a discount code to get £100 off the up-front phone cost. So I pad £9.99.

The comparable contract for the OnePlus 6 is: 4GB data, Unlimited texts/minutes at £89.99 up-front and £39 per month.

So that's 2 pound more expensive per month for the OnePlus 6, and only £20 difference in the up-front cost if you take away the discount code.

Now given the retail price for the 128GB OnePlus 6 is only £519, and the retail price for the Huawei P20 Pro is £799, that's a £280 difference in the cost of the phone.

Therefore, how can O2 possibly charge so much for the OnePlus when the phone is so much cheaper that the Huawei?

Are O2 simply cashing in here?

The phone idea of OnePlus is to provide premium phone experiences at an affordable price, yet people in contracts (most people let's be honest) are still being charged the premium costs of a contract they pay for the most expensive brands such as Samsung. Doesn't seem fair really.

Thanks

Steve
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22942 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions
@welshsteve76 You answered your own question. Yes, O2 are cashing in. They charge so much because they can. When did you ever hear of a phone company being fair? They're all thieves.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 7

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35213 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
Thieving bar stewards.

I think it's almost worthwhile sticking with my OP3T (it will be getting Android P soon anyway!) for a while after my Device Plan hits zero in January... The OP6 should drop a little when the OP6T comes out...

£408 I am paying off for my 64GB OP3T, would love to hear how you got 100knicker off your Huawei.
Message 3 of 7

Skyhawk1010
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 150 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

There’s a ;lot more to it than that.

What you AREN’T seeing is the private and confidential deal between O2 and Huawei. 

Yes, if you went into a shop and wanted to buy a P20 Pro £799 wouldn’t be too far off the mark. 

BUT..

Huawei will probably have an agreement with O2 resulting in a considerable kickback if O2 exceed an agreed number of handset sales via contract/PAYG/outright purchase. And it’s this kickback which allows the reduction in price, funds the promotional £100 off etc. O2 gain via connections and Huawei gain long term by the raising of its profile.

Message 4 of 7

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35213 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Good points, @Skyhawk1010. @  And OnePlus haven't the clout to offer that sort of "incentive" to O2, so O2 hike the price... Bleh.

Message 5 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143426 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Oppo don’t need to discount though as they don’t struggle to sell phones.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 7

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@pgn wrote:
Thieving bar stewards.

I think it's almost worthwhile sticking with my OP3T (it will be getting Android P soon anyway!) for a while after my Device Plan hits zero in January... The OP6 should drop a little when the OP6T comes out...

£408 I am paying off for my 64GB OP3T, would love to hear how you got 100knicker off your Huawei.

@pgnWhen you upgrade/purchase a new contract through the O2 site, when it comes to checkout, it mentions the Huawei discount code, which you can apply in the "Got promotional code?" section of checkout.  In fact, it highlights the fact a promotion is available and asks if you wish to apply it.  The £100 then comes off when it comes to paying.

Thanks

Steve
Message 7 of 7