Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook has stopped connecting to email servers, except over a VPN

CampbellM
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have an O2 5G SIM in my router.  About a day or so ago I was getting the following message from Outlook when connecting to a number of different email servers:

"Task ’[my email account] - Receiving’ reported error (0x800CCC1A) : ’Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your email server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance.’"

I have a number of different email accounts with a number of different companies and this started happening with two or three of them simultaneously.  And I have discovered that if I connect my PC via a VPN, everything works properly.  For both these reasons I think that the problem is somewhere in O2's network rather than at my end or the email server end.

I have tried ringing O2 Customer Service three times, but they have been unable to help.

Has anyone seen the same issue or have a solution?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7926 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 1652 Solutions

One for @madasaf1sh 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 9

CampbellM
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

What personal information I have posted?

Message 3 of 9

Enlli
  • 7926 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 1652 Solutions

None.

It's a permanent footer. You will be surprised what information people give away on here

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 9

CampbellM
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Oh, OK.

Message 5 of 9

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11577 Posts
  • 63 Topics
  • 3163 Solutions

@Enlli thanks for the tag.... 

@CampbellM 

What protocol are you using to connect to the Mail Server and is this sending or receiving email..  as this is usually a port been blocked. 

--
iPhone 16 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 6 of 9

CampbellM
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm using POP3 and SMTP over SSL/TLS on port 995 incoming and 465 outgoing.  This is the same for all three servers which are hosted by different companies.  This has worked very well since I installed the mobile broadband router nearly a year ago and for many years before that on an ordinary router.  Then all of a sudden it stopped working a few days ago (not all of the time: it would work occasionally).  But if I connect over a VPN everything is fine.

Message 7 of 9

JimboDee
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I too have my o2 sim in a 5g router and can access most websites without issue, however outlook.com just times out like it is blocked by o2 network for some reason.

If I switch my network connection to my land line broadband I can access outlook.com fine, it just seems anoying that the default is for o2 network to block outlook.com.

Message 8 of 9

Enlli
  • 7926 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 1652 Solutions

@JimboDee Working in Liverpool on 5G

Message 9 of 9