Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online shop credit card details - CVV field

Jonathan
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

American Express credit cards use 4-digit CVV validation numbers instead of the usual three. If you try and pay with an American Express card, once you input the card number, the CVV input field changes from max length 3 to max length 4 to allow you to enter your CVV. However, if you allow Google to autofill your card details rather than typing them in by hand, the CVV field does NOT change to 4 digits long, and you can't buy anything!

Problem exists on both mobile and desktop sites.

In other words: if you have an Amex, don't use Google autofill. I hope O2 can fix this soon.

cvv.PNG

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Jonathan
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Not quite - the four digit number on the front IS the CVV. The three digit number on the back of the signature strip is nothing.

Message 11 of 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35779 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions
Yeah, I guess. What was the question? 🤣
Message 13 of 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Would you trust Google to store your credit card details?

Oh, wait....that was mine sweat_smile

Message 14 of 16

jezza1234
Level 12: Nimble
  • 341 Posts
  • 25 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

Have to say I have had a huge laugh with this thread.

I'm with @jonsie in that why would any sane, rational human being allow Google to store your card details for autofill?

The thing that has given me a huge amount of amusement is how a simple question re CVV numbers has manged to turn itself into yet another debate about the B word joyjoyrofl

C'mon guys most of us are Brexited out already!

Message 15 of 16

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

I seem to remember ages ago, O2 did NOT accept AmEx cards....(probably because of the 4 digit CVV number?)

Yeah apparently if I remember correctly they don’t accept that particular card. Can’t remember why though 

I think the EU directive on credit card charges effectively meant Amex could not be ignored.  Good old EU again, let's hope things do not revert to the bad old days after 29th March 2019: credit card charges, roaming charges, bank charges... all things commonly used in a free market economy (!)  

The UK is one of the few countries that have "free" banking. Its free at the moment to have a current account but believe me, the banks have wanted to implement charges for many years just to have an account. Ever wondered why saving rates are always low even if the market has better rates? If you're a businesss account holder, then you know there's no free banking and everything costs. Think its something like 4% on each card tranaction so the banking industry wants to go cashless because it makes them money for doing less. 

BTW, Amex does work with the 4 digit CVV field as I did it a couple of weeks ago 🙂

Message 16 of 16