cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 shop on Oxford Street told me today my data only sim in does not allow any roaming at all.

MGH
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Had troubles for a year and all account settings have roaming on but I was "unable to connect" to Orange 4G mast 300m away in France all summer and now O2 tell me that unless I pay off the contract and then change to a voice etc sim I should get a foreign SIM card.

That is not what was said when I took the Galaxy Book 2 Pro 5G contract las year.

Anyone else had the same feedback? Seems wrong to me but thought I would ask before I escalate it.

Thanks

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93274 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

If this is a data sim I was under the impression that it was for use only in the UK

Message 2 of 11

MGH
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks but I can't find that in the terms and conditions. Where does your info come from? Perhaps I've missed something. A Customer rep took an hour when I was in France and said it was all sorted. 

Message 3 of 11

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7116 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1586 Solutions

Mentioned here

Your inclusive allowances cover mainland calls, texts and data in our Europe Zone, except if you’re on a data-only (Mobile Broadband) tariff, data can only be used in the UK. Special numbers and services (such as premium rate numbers and some 08 numbers) are not included. Please see our Tariff Terms and Website for more details about specific tariffs and Charges outside your allowances. 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 11

MGH
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Many thanks.

Message 5 of 11

MGH
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Interestingly they changed the terms only in the new terms and conditions as you show from 3 April 2023. Prior to that date there was no such roaming restriction which is why it worked in December 2022 and I thought no more about it.

Seems I have been "stuffed". 

Message 6 of 11

Oxonian
Level 31: Resolver
  • 7588 Posts
  • 143 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@MGH 

it seems somewhat disingenuous to change the T&Cs when someone is part way through a contract, if that is what has actually happened.

If you are sure of your ground, I would be inclined to ask O2 to make an ex-gratia credit to your account. if they refuse, you could consider a complaint.

Please keep us informed of developments.  

Message 7 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146975 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions

Why it worked previously in inexplicable.

O2 data only sims have never worked abroad from day 1 of their inception.

There is no recourse I'm afraid unless you have something in writing that states otherwise?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 8 of 11

MGH
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Perhaps the initial working had someting to do with the fact that I upgraded from my 3 year old 3in1 sim that I put in the laptop for a while.

The roaming restriction is not in any of the advertising or t&cs before 3 April. Historic t&cs are on the O2 site t&c page.

What's more annoyingnis I paid for extra data for a couple of months before I left UK and then it turned out to be money down the drain. 

Message 9 of 11

Oxonian
Level 31: Resolver
  • 7588 Posts
  • 143 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@MGH 

You said :-

>>> What's more annoyingnis I paid for extra data for a couple of months before I left UK and then it turned out to be money down the drain. 

I agree and that is why I have said :-

"If you are sure of your ground, I would be inclined to ask O2 to make an ex-gratia credit to your account".

Good luck.

Message 10 of 11