Did you mean: 

O2 roaming update: 4g etc

iphone4sir
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 160 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Hi

What’s the latest on 4g agreements in Europe - what countries in the EU where 4g is true 4g and not throttled?

I’m assuming 3G as part of 02 travel is still throttled? It was in Feb when I used it for 1 day in Thailand 🇹🇭?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Nowhere in EU is throttled.
Everywhere outside of EU is.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I don't know if there is a comprehensive list but 4G at normal speeds is available all over Europe now. It certainly was in Germany last month. Outside the EU data is widely throttled. I too tried using O2 in Thailand and found it truly awful. I tried for an hour and was charged £4.99 for trying to check a few emails. Live chat did refund me though as they could see there was only a few megs used.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-and-Feedback/Which-Countries-have-4G-roaming-22-Countries-...

Message 3 of 5

iphone4sir
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 160 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
I’ve just come back from Istanbul for a week and opted for a Voafode sim - paid £20 and it gave me unlimited texts and minutes and 10gb of data. I got fast 4g in almost all parts.

If I’d had opted to roam with o2 the same trip would have cost me £40 and no doubt unbearable speeds would have greeted me. I wish o2 would up their game with their roaming offering and stop throttling speeds outside Europe - it’s the one thing stopping me renewing with them - other than that I like 02 but this annoys the hell out me
Message 4 of 5

PhoneChanger
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Sadly its been like this for years, its unlikely they will change it anytime soon
Message 5 of 5