cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 mobile data dongle

Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought a sim only data dongle from O2 a few months ago on a 24 month contract. The signal is strong but the download speed is abysmal, averages about 6 mb/sec. It has been as fast as 14mb/sec a few times but is usually arond 2 - 6 mb/sec. The upload speed is usually worse, averaging 2mb/sec, but can often be <1mb/sec.

I use it in work which is only 5 miles outside of Liverpool City Centre, so it isn't exactly a remote rural area.

My colleague who sits next to me has a similar gadget from EE and he's getting between 75-100mb/sec.

I've mentioned this to O2 but they say there is a transmitter down in my area and they're trying to fix it. However, I know this is a bluff because the speed has been poor for months, and they don't even know where I'm using the dongle as it's registered to a different address to where it is mainly being used.

Besides, that's the reason I bought it in the first, so I could use it anywhere.

Is anyone else having the same problem with O2 data speeds please?

I like O2 but my mobile phone contract with BT has just expired & I'm looking for another phone provider, but I'll choose another one if anyone else is having the same speed problems.

Any advice please?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You've got another post asking the same here mate https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-products-and-services/Sim-only-Mobile-broadband-dongle/m-p/11033...
Check your postcodes for issues but generally 4g does struggle because o2 don't have much bandwidth, esp in busy areas with a lot of people trying to use it at the same time.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 2