cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 PLACED A DEFAULT ON MY CREDIT FILE WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARNINGS

Anonymous
Not applicable

Back in 2010 o2 defaulted my account with absolutely no warnings at all. I have written to them and they have fobbed me off and didnt really answer any of the questions I asked of them. I also asked for a copy of my signed contract, still waiting for this to be received. The default amount was only for 50 pounds, there is no way I would let my account get to default stage for 50 pounds, if I had known there was a balance I would have paid this immediately. Instead they wait for 6 months then issue a default, not one letter warning me about a potential life changing mistake being made to my credit file

I have already addressed my complaint to the credit referrals team and will be going to the Ombudsmans services / Cisas / OFCOM and Information Comissioner until I get this removed from my credit file

I can see from hundreds if not thousands of other posts on the internet that I am not in the minority when it comes to o2's abruptness to default your account. There has been many mistakes made in the past and I beleive this to be another

I have been rejected for credit recently to purchase a new car and my credit card limits have also been decreased over the last year or two........despite never missing a payment

This default has cased me a great deal of stress and I want to get to the bottom of this immediately

If anyone has any input that would be great

If someone from o2 could please assist on resolving this issue

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Contacting 02 was your first correct avenue.

Companies that are owed money in my experience would try all avenues of communication from calls , letters, e mails and would ultimately sell the debt onto a debt collection agency who would then start the communication process all over which could end up resulting on a default.

Have you moved home and changed your contact numbers and e mail address making contact improbable ?

If your on pay monthly contract then they should have had a direct debit mandate set up with you and your bank account. Why did this fail.

Where is your copy of your contract agreement.

You won't get an answer from 02 here as this is a customer user to user open community forum.

You can write to Experian to make them aware of the incorrect default and ask them to investigate and if its wrong they will amend your credit file.
Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Contacting 02 was your first correct avenue.

Companies that are owed money in my experience would try all avenues of communication from calls , letters, e mails and would ultimately sell the debt onto a debt collection agency who would then start the communication process all over which could end up resulting on a default.

Have you moved home and changed your contact numbers and e mail address making contact improbable ?

If your on pay monthly contract then they should have had a direct debit mandate set up with you and your bank account. Why did this fail.

Where is your copy of your contract agreement.

You won't get an answer from 02 here as this is a customer user to user open community forum.

You can write to Experian to make them aware of the incorrect default and ask them to investigate and if its wrong they will amend your credit file.
Message 2 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Been quite a few instances of this over the last couple of years. Did you at any stage receive a zero bill from O2 or maybe you cancelled the direct debit too soon. At the very least the onus was on customer service to email you that your bill is ready to view, I also get text messages. I have never been late with a bill so unsure whether they attempt to call you.

You obviously need to chase the referrals team to try to get them to remove the default but you need to show that it was marked as a default in error.

In the meantime you can put a note on your file to show it is in dispute.

Message 3 of 7

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I am in a similar position to you. Yet mine was completely unfounded addition to my credit record:( (cost me a business loan:().

I've been battling for 4 months now to have it revoked. Unfortunately I can't get the credit reference companies to revoke it even with copies of the emails that state an accident had occurred and I hadn't defaulted. Being 23 the smallest blemish on my credit file is a killer!

Just keep bugging them I'm now at the point of requesting an update each week. Even considering suing for damages if I'm honest.

You'll get there:)
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Without trying to defend O2 in any way at all, but are you sure that it's been a single default that has caused loan applications to be rejected and credit limits on cards to be lowered?

It's been a long time since I applied for credit like a loan or card (I no longer have any), but back in the days of the "great credit give-away" that were the "Noughties", I didnt have any problems getting credit cards even after having missed payments on other cards, etc...and even had consolidation loans to consolidate other consolidation loans! Smiley Embarassed

It was my understanding that having too much credit would also be a hindrance to you when you try and apply for more credit. As would credit searches by any company that you have went to for a loan. If the companies that you already have creidt cards with can see that you are trying to get more credit they may see you as an increasing risk and so reduce the amount of credit you have with them.

Sorry, just my tuppenceworth 

(I'm not sure how many more times I can say credit in one post lol)

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, thanks for all the input

O2 keep responding saying they are not obliged to send default notices - surely they have a duty of care to the consumer. Also I have requested on a number of occasions for O2 to provide me with a signed copy if my contract - again they just keep ignoring the question and will not provide. If they do not have a copy of the contract then who are they legally to default my account?

With regards the loan application and credit limits, I believe the default is the sole cause of these. I recently got my credit score from equifax and it was 287.......the average score was 7 hundred and something. I have never missed a payment, only have two credit cards and a mobile phone contract.....definitely not too much credit! There is no other reason for getting declined except for the default

If anyone has any success stories and how they got the default removed please share as this is killing my credit file and I need this off immediately

Thanks
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi srobb05,

There are so many factors that affect your credit worthiness, and each organisation determines your risk factor in different ways. Your credit score is pretty pointless, I wouldnt pay much attention this as its not what comapnies factor into their decision to give you credit.

For instance, have you moved house recently? Have you been applying for a number of credit cards or loans? have you had any applications declined? Have you or your partner had credit/debt problems in the past?

It could even be that you dont have ENOUGH credit! Weirdly if you dont have much credit, companies cant determine how much of a risk you will be! Do you alwys pay your credit cards off in full? Sometimes the best thing to do is pay the balances off in stages over a few months rather than all at once.

If you have a look at sites like MoneySavingExpert they will be able to assist you on how to improve your chances of getting credit, and even how to fight against the default on your file.

However, I wouldnt push the issue about a signed contract. I took out my contract with O2 over the internet so have never signed anything. They should still be able to give you a copy of the contract you agreed to when you first started you agreement with them.

Hope you get it sorted.

Message 7 of 7