cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2: Need more data? scam

Anonymous
Not applicable
I got the following txt saying to call to get extra download allowance...... O2: Need more data? We've noticed you used it all up recently. Boost your allowance and speed things up with a Bolt-On. To find out more, call 2202. the txt was from "O2UK" all upper case this has got to be a scam because I have over 400mb of my allowance left..... just be warned
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144434 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
It seems to be doing the rounds at the moment 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 13

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Seems weird for a scam to get you to phone the correct number 😕
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

System error at 02 end?

Message 4 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144434 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
It's the number for PAYG tariff changes. Possibly an internal sales pitch scam slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 13

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Good ploy then:)
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 6 of 13

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Daniel,

I'll check this out and get to the bottom of it. Please send me a PM with the time you received it, as well as a screenshot from your phone if you can.

Cheers
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

I use an 02 pay and go card and use my mobile phone only for really urgent calls and photos.

In the last month I have had 2 messages from 02 (both on Saturdays and about 2 hours before midnight) to say that that they have given me 50mb of data to be used before modnight and that they have taken £1. Are these genuinely from 02? If so how can I get my £2 back as I consider it to be extortion. If they are not from 02 is there a way to stop this happening?

Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
There are a lot of posts about the £1 data. As far as I'm aware the only way to stop the £1 being taken is to turn off data on your phone.
Message 9 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23101 Posts
  • 1026 Topics
  • 3677 Solutions

If you don't turn your mobile data off your apps will update in the background, and you will be charged for it.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 13