Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number port in while abroad

speuk
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Useful trick to complete a number porting while abroad. I had to work this out as having bought my sin a new phone on o2 and requested a port in using the online form o2 never acted on the form. I followed up and gave pac code etc via online chat, port didn't happen next day and we then ran into the bank holiday weekend and son flew to Rome. O2 advised that sim must be in the UK for port to complete. On Tuesday the sun lost the signal and didn't pick up the ported number. o2 didn't have a solution other than to wait until the sun was back in the UK. Undeterred I did some research on how Wi-Fi calling worked and found an article which explained it was basically a uma connection which took the connection back to the o2 core. Check with o2 and they said it was not possible to register a sim via Wi-Fi calling but thought we would give it a go. Used Tunnel Bear VPN app to connect direct to UK internet turned on airplane mode then switched wifi back on to force the phone to try Wi-Fi calling and get Preston after a bit of a wait the sun registered on the UK network and picked up the ported number .
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

speuk
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Apologies for all the typos, hopefully it makes sense.
Message 2 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144198 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
Yeah, got it, thanks slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 5

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
Interesting story. Do they marry in the end?

So basically the number port worked eventually.
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 4 of 5

speuk
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
You'll have to wait for the sequel.

Yep it worked using Wi-Fi calling and a vpn connection to UK.
Message 5 of 5