cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now getting 3G coverage in a non 3G coverage area..sometimes

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am from the Sth Wales Valleys and i have never had 3G. For a few days i am getting 3G but then it goes only to return. There's no real pattern to this. I will get it in the same street then if i was to return to that street it would not reappear. Also when i switch my phone off then on i will get 3G. any else experience this?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous This sort of thing usually happens when they are working to upgrade the mast

Similar for me. I suddenly got 4G at my home...now it keeps flashing on and off intermittently

Check out your mast status here

http://status.o2.co.uk/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous This sort of thing usually happens when they are working to upgrade the mast

Similar for me. I suddenly got 4G at my home...now it keeps flashing on and off intermittently

Check out your mast status here

http://status.o2.co.uk/

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.

I did check that the same time I had 3g but the live status says no 3g. have had a few different explanations to this. One is that the area is switching to 3g, that sometimes my signal picks up 3g in other masts when my signal drops & there is work going on in the area. I have asked O2 direct but they cant give a definite reason or are able to find out if work is being carried out/upgrading to 3G. Guess I’ll have to hold out for a few months to see what happens before deciding to change providers.

Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 144147 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
It's also possible that the atmospheric conditions are all aligned and you are picking up a signal from a further away mast, but, most likely part of the mast upgrade programme.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23046 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Anonymous Do any of the other networks in your area provide a 3g or 4G signal? If so, that's where you should be.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah they do. I am generally satisfied with O2 and i am due a free upgrade with them so going to hang on to see if what people are saying its because 3G is being rolled out soon.

Message 6 of 7

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23046 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

The choice is entirely yours. Personally, a free upgrade to a phone that will probably be capable of 4G, but only have the ability to get 3G at best, and maybe not even that, wouldn't be worth it to me. What's the point of having a good phone that you can't use to its potential?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 7