cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No way to enable Wi-Fi Calling on Pixel 2XL?

PaddyL
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I recently moved to O2 from Virgin Mobile. I'm using a Pixel 2XL.

O2 has enabled Wi-Fi calling for me; I can see this on the website, and their Support has confirmed it. This was about a week ago, and I have restarted my phone several times since then.

However, the option to enable Wi-Fi calling on my phone is absent. I can see images of it on the internet, but in my settings, where the option is supposed to go, the option is simply missing.

Entering *#*#4636#*#* into the keypad confirms that 4G is turned on, that LTE is turned on, that the phone supports Wi-Fi calling… but the option to turn it on is greyed out (see screenshot).

I believe (though I'm unsure) that I'm supposed to enable VoLTE, but that's also shown as greyed out.

What can I do to fix this, please?

Settings.png

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36426 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1612 Solutions

Whilst early Pixel devices supported it, several networks did not enable it on their networks in a way that the 2XL could work with... Check your phone updates screen against: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android/OTA-updates-for-Pixel-2-XL/m-p/1093312/highlight/true#M66781

And then

In addition, VoLTE doesn't appear on settings in some smartphones even though they support it. However, you may try typing the codes below into your phone dialer to manually activate the VoLTE: *#*#86583#*#* *#*#4636#*#*23 Feb 2022

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/wifi-and-4g-calling

Google is your friend here I think, @PaddyL 

Message 2 of 5

PaddyL
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for the information, @pgn 

@pgn wrote:
Google is your friend here I think, @PaddyL 

You have no idea how much I've used Google, how many articles I've read (including the one that you linked to), how many posts on various forums I've read, nor how much I've spoken to Support. None of that has helped.

@pgn wrote:

Check your phone updates screen against… 

Thank you for the link. My build looks entirely different from either of those mentioned in that post. It says, however, that to install the build, I'll have to perform a factory-level reset. That fills me with dread; I'd have to go through all app settings again to set my phone up the way that I want it!

I think that I'll just have to accept living without Wi-Fi Calling until the time comes to get a new phone.

Message 3 of 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23196 Posts
  • 1028 Topics
  • 3688 Solutions

@PaddyL Have you tried contacting Google directly?: Pixel phone Help (google.com)

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 5

PaddyL
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ugh, I wrote a reply and O2 immediately logged me out.

@Bambino wrote:

Have you tried contacting Google directly?

Hmm, thanks for the idea. I doubt that Google will help, though, because the phone is long past its warranty period.

Having read more about this issue, it seems that the carrier needs to provide updates to make it work. I find that weird, because I would have expected there to be an international standard, rather than each carrier having to have their own updates.

Message 5 of 5