cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 3G or 4G in Oxford City Centre for the past year

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone

I moved to Oxford in August 2014 for university from Newcastle (where signal has never ever been a problem - always good 4G). However, since moving there my signal and data speeds have been terrible.

Strangely, the city centre is the worst place having never (literally, never) gotten 4G or even a good 3G signal. I almost exclusively get E and GPRS. The rest of Oxford isn't great either. However, if I go to the very west side of Oxford (near the train station) I get good 4G, and heading quite a way East (in Headington) my signal is perfect.

The coverage map shows that Oxford is just about completely covered with 4G however I almost never get it (sadly the one neighbourhood that doesn't have it is where I'll be moving to next month).

I have called O2 and they sent me a new SIM - nothing worked. I went to the Apple Store and they gave me a new iPhone - nothing changed.

What can I do about this? I can probably live without 4G but I what is the point in having a 5GB data allowance when I only really get GPRS in the middle of a city.

Thanks

James

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143436 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Move networks.
If the signal ain't there you won't get it I'm afraid.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Move networks.
If the signal ain't there you won't get it I'm afraid.....

Just about to say the same. Try a few free sims from other networks and see what gives you the best signal

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem is I think my contract runs until July 2016. It's also kind of annoying that the coverage checker says it is there and the network status never says there is a problem when there clearly is.

Message 4 of 22

MI5
  • 143436 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Coverage checkers are just computer simulations and are rarely 100% accurate.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
How far are you into your current contract? Or if on Refresh how much would you need to pay off the Handset plan. These would determine the costs to move networks.

Have you used http://www.o2.co.uk/apps/my-network app to report your masts which could highlight to O2 their is a potential issue. Do others on O2 have the same issue as you ?
Message 6 of 22

MI5
  • 143436 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If you check here you will see that O2 is rubbish in Oxford http://www.mobiles.co.uk/4g/coverage-checker-map.html

Currently using:
Message 7 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous you do not need to ask those questions as it is nobody's business including yours how much they have left to pay or how long
Message 8 of 22

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

While I sympathise with your issue, your only option is to pay off the handset and change network. Until o2 upgrade the masts to cover all Oxford then there is nothing that can be done tyo help i'm afraid.

Message 9 of 22

MI5
  • 143436 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
July 2016 anyway, innit wink

Currently using:
Message 10 of 22