Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nexus 5X bootloop

Jim26
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My phone seems to have been afflicted by the "bootloop" issue common to some LG devices.  After sending it off for repair this morning, I've read online about the many affected devices.

Shouldn't O2 be offering alternative devices to customers affected by this issue?  It seems widespread.  Luckily mine it still under warranty, however I am probably going to lose several months worth of photos. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
If anyone should be offering an alternative it would be LG as it is their faulty product.
Your photos MIGHT be back up to your google account if you had it set up to do so.
Did you send it to o2 or LG for repair @Jim26?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27664 Solutions
Absolutely correct. It's LG's product so they need to resolve any issues and compensate customers but all your photos should be backed up automatically as stated.
I wouldn't even consider o2 for any repairs and I'd go directly to LG so there won't be any argument.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 8

Jim26
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I sent it to O2.  I appreciate what your saying re LG, but O2 as the retailer are the ones who should be taking responsibility.  I didn't realise the extent of the bootloop issue til earlier today.  AFAIK UK consumer law means your contract is with the seller, not LG.

Re photos, I don't particularly like backing up to the cloud/Google; I did it manually every 6-8 weeks to my PC.

Message 4 of 8

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27664 Solutions
Yeah we fully understand consumer law and we also know how often customers get the run around from o2's repairers.
Let's hope you aren't one of them.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 8

Jim26
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Funnily enough, until this device, I'd class myself as a very happy customer (10 years +).  Rarely had an issue with service or devices.

Summer 2016: First 5X - odd video-playing error, which extensive online conversations didn't resolve.

Then, 2 days wasted due to O2 staff failing to book in collections correctly when sorting out the replacement. Now this error.  

It might be time for a new phone I think.

Message 6 of 8

seganaUK
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This issue makes me laugh and cry in frustration. Took my wife's 5X into store on Sunday (as advised on phone by o2 customer services) and they sent it off for repair. My wife then got a text message yesterday saying that the warranty wouldn't cover the repair but we could call to get a repair quote. Spoke to the store and were told we had to pay £25...I said no. Many arguments explaining how the bootloop issue was a known hardware fault and that the phone was covered by the warranty.

Store eventually gave in but said I now needed to supply proof of purchase (which I couldn't find) even though as far as I'm concerned o2 account would show proof of purchase. I know o2 use a 3rd party repair service (Anovo I believe) but that shouldn't matter to the consumer. The consumer is using o2 and o2 repairs so the service should be seamless.

I've now had to call customer services so they can send me proof of purchase, so I can take that into store who can then send it to the repair company. Ridiculous!!

What worries me most though is how many people who don't understand their consumer rights just pay the £25 when they don't have to. Tantamount to theft as far as I'm concerned.

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27664 Solutions
Search the forum for similar complaints about Anovo and you’ll find many.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8