Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network expansion

Peterkin1010
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 19 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Not sure if this is the right board but here goes.

After donkeys years of suffering a dirty big O2 'NOT Spot' in Cardiff Bay I took a drive up there this morning to be greeted with this...20220529_103410.jpg

Absolutely fantastic news and it looks like O2 are dealing with coverage issues in the Cardiff area. I know there's been local authority resistance all over Wales but the nation has a famine of mobile phone coverage and capacity. 

Let's hope this is but one of many more and O2 are going full steam ahead to provide an extensive, fast network for Cardiff and the surrounding areas.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35239 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

That must be one of the vaunted VMO2 synergies, @Peterkin1010 - and given a boost by that monumental RPI price rise for anyone on a mid- to high-end tariff this year!  

Thanks for the photo, O2 standing out from the crowd there again wink

Message 2 of 10

Peterkin1010
  • 19 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Its that new, it isnt even on the O2 Coverage map yet.

Message 3 of 10

lewys-gp
Former Staff
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks for sharing, @Peterkin1010. Nice to see another Welshie(?) on the community, I grew up down the road from Cardiff 👍.

Community Manager for the O2 Community 🙂
Message 4 of 10

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

Was in Wales last week for holiday, and the coverage is...lacking!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:

Was in Wales last week for holiday, and the coverage is...lacking!

Very.... 

Message 6 of 10

lewys-gp
Former Staff
  • 921 Posts
  • 89 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Where did you visit, @gmarkj, if you don't mind me asking 🤗?

Community Manager for the O2 Community 🙂
Message 7 of 10

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

We were just outside Tregaron, about 30 minutes from Aberystwyth and 45 from New Quay @lewys-gp .

Barn converted house set in about 3 acres of land (owner's house and another conversion were on the same site) with a "heated" outdoor pool and a duck pond at the bottom of the garden.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 8 of 10

Peterkin1010
  • 19 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Unfortunately , Wales has ALWAYS been overlooked by O2 and its predecessors BT Cellnet and Cellnet/. However it appears that the new owners of O2 Liberty Global are taking coverage much more seriously in Wales and elsewhere. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see huge improvements via Liberty Global within the next 12 months.

Message 9 of 10

Wod
  • 19 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The two 5G masts here didn't come up on O2's map for some time after they had been activated. Maybee they only get plotted once testing and calibration tweaks are completed? As users effectively become a part of the finalisation.

But yeah that should chuck out 700mhz anyway which will be superior for coverage and speed if on a 5G phone but even without a 5G phone the 700mhz can take up 3G/4G if it's not busy so still accessible at a lower bandwidth ofcourse (ie lesser speed).

I am myself also reluctant about new masts but this one looks like it isn't placed closed to a home and it doesn't seem to be ruining any natural landscape views so it's fine in my opinion. 

Message 10 of 10