cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My thoughts on the situation...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just posted these words about the whole sorry iPhone situation to my Google+ and will post to my Blog later - thought you might want to have a read... If there's the desire for it from you guys, I'll post my other updates, including correspondence with the CEO's office at O2 throughout the week and today, later too.

"So, the iPhone 5 is out today. Many people will currently be tucking into their newfound gizmatrons of wonderment with the gaze of a young child being handed his most eagerly anticipated gift on Christmas morning.

But a number of O2 customers won't be, it seems.

O2 were late to the game last Friday (pre-order open day), opening up pre-orders very late in the evening, when most providers had been selling for the entire day already. The O2 community forums were an interesting read with lots of information being granularly fed and customers getting irate as their anxiousness to order through their provider grew.

All the while, O2's customer services, online chat Guru's and various other departments were apparently just giving whatever information they could seemingly make up by sticking their finger in the air and wiggling it around to channel the great god of bullcrap.

No two conversations were the same, no bits of information matched and nobody appeared to have a clue what was happening.

O2 eventually opened pre-orders and the floodgates were more or less broken down immediately as the masses flooded to place their orders.

One of the best bits of information came from a news post on O2's website, posted a full 24-hours after most other people had been able to pre-order their shiny new handsets, here: http://news.o2.co.uk/2012/09/15/the-iphone-5-is-coming/

One part of that post which many have read and believed (and still exists, and is still being referred to even right now by the @O2 twitter account and some of the customer services team and O2 online chat 'gurus'!), was this:

Q: When will my iPhone 5 pre-order be delivered?
A: If we get your pre-order before 4pm the day before launch, we’ll get it to you on launch day. The only exception to this will be those customers with an address in the Highlands and Islands.

So... you could pre-order right up until 4pm on the Thursday and still receive on the Friday launch day! That seems too good to be true! It is...

The O2 community forums (and other forums, for that matter) are awash with people complaining that they are not getting their pre-orders on Launch Day, today. Their informaton is coming from a mixture of things, such as the order status in their online accounts not changing from the ubiquitous 'In Progress' for pre-orders (where others are getting tracking information instead), conversations with O2 chat gurus and by calling up to ask.

An interesting thread to follow is this one on the O2 forums, currently standing at well over 130 pages and towards the end having LOTS of people angry with the service and misinformation being disseminated: http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/My-iPhone-5-Has-Been-Dispatched/td-p/2909...

This second thread follows a similar format: http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/Official-Pre-ordered-but-no-show/td-p/297...

And there are many other threads to boot, not to mention some of the tweets being posted to @O2 currently!

What's worse is that seemingly there is no rhyme or reason amongst the orders that are being sent out - it certainly seems that it isn't a 'first-come-first-served', as you'd expect. Some who ordered as soon as pre-orders opened are reporting that they aren't receiving theirs, whilst others who ordered days later are celebrating the fact that theirs has arrived. A very confusing and annoying situation, frustrations which are only escalating as I type this...

I've had my own annoyances with O2 throughout this saga too, which I'll not post here yet (I'll post separately later), but I am in dialogue with a chap in the CEO's office there, who currently seems oblivious to the problems and pretty much denies there's anything wrong. Being the kind soul I am, I have offered to collate some evidence for him... I'll update that all later, along with my other complaints to him too."

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pablo, is that not the point of a forum, for people to discuss a matter which relates to their situation? Hence a lot of people confused by the conflicting missinformation handed to them by mushrooms in a call centre reading from a script (citation needed) posting on the forum to discuss their own experiences trying to get some answers from O2? Yes many will have received their phone and now will no longer be posting, but for the rest of us who are getting no solid information from O2 are using the oppertunity to discuss the matter and see if we can get any sense out of the situation. Not having a go but it's not about not receiving the phone on launch day so much, it's the lack of care that O2 seem to have for us that are without any information on when we will receive it. All we want is a solid answer, if it's going to be monday for delivery great, if its going to be 3 weeks then fine tell us. We just want some truth and not what O2 think we want to hear as missleading us with false hope will do nothing but anger people more.

Message 21 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
Still no response to my last two emails to the CEOs office chap and I guess I shouldn't expect any seeing as he doesn't think the email conversation will get anywhere. *Sigh*

My order is still sat in the 'In progress' black hole, where orders seemingly go to fester forever and ever.

I'm not that fussed that I haven't got my phone yet, although that would be nice. By the time I ordered I figured I wouldn't get it for a while because of the delays from O2s end in me ordering. As in the emails, what annoys me is the communications that O2 put out - mass misinformation from all channels and no two departments giving consistent information at all (or even between themselves). Even still now, from some of the posts I've seen across the forums even this morning.

For information, I'll post my initial complaint to the CEOs office shortly, which will highlight the issues I had in getting the order placed - again, not a perfect scenario by O2's customer services and other departments at all. Again, barely acknowledged or dealt with...
Message 22 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's my initial complaint sent to the CEOs office:

"Hi,

I am so incensed by the service I have received from O2 recently that I felt I had to write to let you know and to give you the opportunity to put things right.

I and my girlfriend have been O2 customers for many years, I have (in my girlfriends name, for household finance reasons), through O2, had numerous XDA's in the past and most iPhones at launch. To my knowledge I haven't missed a single payment to O2 and would have thought I am a good customer to you - usually paying over £50/month on my contract despite not having the usage to justify that (but not bothering to change the tariff because it was just convenient to carry on).

In May our circumstances changed and therefore I had to arrange to transfer the phone contract to me rather than my girlfriend's name. Unfortunately a direct transfer isn't available for O2 customers so I was advised by a member of O2 staff that I could take out a new simplicity deal for myself. I explained the trend of upgrading to iPhone and knowing the new one was due out in a few months didn't want this change to affect that - I was assured that, as a valued customer, on this new simplicity deal I would be able to arrange an upgrade when pre-orders started as usual. On this understanding, I took this deal.

When the iPhone 5 was announced I was excited, knowing that I would be upgrading and getting the latest Apple handset, as a mac and iPad user this is important to me.

So, it came to pre-order day and there was nothing. For hours 'coming soon'. I was patient and waited, and waited, and waited. With no information on the website I turned to Twitter, where the @O2 account (being in Social Media myself the @O2 twitter is a very, very well run account, by the way - compliments to the team who run that!) seemed to be unawares as to any timescales.

So, I took to the live chat - where I was run around in circles, lied to, told pre-orders were not going To be available at all, given mis-information and told that the twitter account was lying. The whole conversation was ridiculous. By this time several friends and colleagues had pre-ordered their own upgrades with other providers (which was something I was told wasn't possible by the live chat person, basically accusing me of being a liar), frustrating me even more. This was, at the time (I spoken to more of your staff since!), the single worst conversation I've had with customer services in my life.

Knowing this was a completely untrue situation and the advisor Had no clue whatsoever, I called customer services. I waited, and waited, and waited, eventually getting through to someone after a ridiculous time. I'm told 'yes, you'll be able to upgrade when the upgrades open, which will be soon'. So I hang up and wait.

On a forum I see that pre-orders have opened. This is late, but I'm happy I can upgrade at last! I call up again and wait, and wait, and wait...

...eventually I get through to someone, but they are customer services and cannot process it for me, and can't transfer me to anyone to help, apparently. I'm advised to go online where 'you will absolutely be able to do it there'.

I go online and follow the prompts. Logging in I get to the upgrade page...

'You cannot upgrade this number online, please call us to arrange this'.

Arrrrrgh!

I call back and use the call tree to go to Upgrades... This then cuts me off!

Arrrrrrrrrgh!

So, I call back, wait forever to get through again to explain the situation and go to Customer Services and explain the situation. I am at this point getting extremely frustrated and the customer services person is refusing to help me or transfer me to somebody who can help. It's getting completely ridiculous. I ask for a manager. Again, I'm put on hold for an age... Eventually again a voice comes on the line... Phew! The voice says 'Hiya! BYE!' and HANGS UP! Annoyed is not the word to describe my utter contempt for all things O2 at this stage!

I had some work to do, so did that for a while to calm myself down. When the red mist had disappeared I called back. I am proud of how calm I have been throughout this whole episode and maintain that level of calmness on the next call (waiting an age to get through again), explaining the situation yet again. On this call the customer service person manages to transfer me through to the upgrades department (at last!), where I describe everything again. I am told that as I'm on a simplicity 12month contract, part way into it, they can't do an upgrade. Again, I explain why I am on this contract and that I was promised it at the start. I didn't take a new handset when changing the contract so I could upgrade to iPhone 5 when it came out, I also explained the issues I had throughout the day and that I was annoyed with all things O2. She understood and had a word with a colleague or manager (putting me on hold for an age again), then came back to say that as I'd had these problems she would, as a one-off, arrange the upgrade for me. She started going through some questions, then..... I GOT CUT OFF!

ARRRRRRRGHH!

I called straight back... Again. Waited..... Again. Got through to someone in sales and explained the whole sorry thing again. By this point (I started this whole process at lunchtime!) it was a few minutes to 9. The sales chap said he would have sorted it all out with me, but with it being so late he couldn't now. He asked me to call back in the morning and ask for a manager in upgrades who would process things for me.

Annoyed and slightly disheartened, I do exactly as asked. Come the morning I phone up, wait forever again to get through and ask for a manager in upgrades.

I'm now told customer services cannot transfer calls. Questioning this again, the agent eventually calls the upgrades department. I'm now in a ridiculous three-way conversation going via the customer services agent (who isn't conveying the correct information) to the Upgrades person. Upgrades are refusing to take the call and get the advisor to tell me I can't have an iPhone 5 whatever happens, I explain the situation and that it was being sorted last night so should be sorted today, so that message is passed and the conversation goes round in circles seemingly for an eternity.

I ask to be put through to the upgrades people and am refused. I ask to speak to a manager and am refused. Eventually, through sheer perseverance and tenacity on my part I get through to someone in upgrades.

Now I'm told it's impossible to upgrade, there's no handsets left, my account doesn't allow an upgrade, I'm wrong in everything I say (anyone who knows me knows that questioning my integrity is the one thing that really annoys me!) and they are not prepared to do anything.

Eventually I'm now told more phones will be available on Friday and I should call back.

This has really grated me. I'm disgusted a this point and O2 have gone from one of my favourite companies to an absolute travesty. I'm thinking I'll have to concede to next Friday instead, so
I ask for them to call me back on Friday to arrange.

But, no. They won't call me back. Despite the issues, the lies, the misinformation, the cut-offs and the hours or trying to sort out wasted I would have to call back and essentially enter a lottery next Friday! This wasn't what I signed up to O2 for! I was even advised to call Carphone Warehouse instead (who I tried an they can't help either, apparently)!

I spoke to a manager who was as condescending a person as I could get and they refused to do absolutely ANYTHING for me, despite the problems I've had.

So, here I am, money burning a hole in my pocket (I'm trying to give you money, remember!) and I've gotten nowhere except extremely frustrated and wasted hours of my life.

So, I await a resolution. What I am supposed to do now? I don't want to end up on the phone for hours again, or in a lottery on Friday after all this, when I was promised I could have the iPhone 5 when I transferred my contract.

The service I have received is absolutely disgusting.

Please could you try and sort this out for me and try to sort out the dispicable customer service issues for future?

I look forward to a response.

Regards"
Message 23 of 35

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
•deletes email•

Good email but Unfortunatly I don't think you'll get anywhere with this:(
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 24 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
In all fairness I did get somewhere with that original complaint because the CEOs office arranged for me to be able to upgrade. Problem is that they only arranged it on Wednesday, so I was 'late' ordering (although I'm not sure if time of order is affecting anything, considering there seems no rhyme or reason to the handsets being dispatched from reading other people's experiences).

But, yes, I don't think I am going to get anywhere with the further complaints regarding the miscommunications, etc, at the moment. I will try to raise it directly with Ronan Dunne from the direct contact details I now have for him, however.

Posting about it is quite cathartic though, for the moment whilst I get my phone delivered. slight_smile
Message 25 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What about the opinion of loads of people who happily received thier iPhones today and haven't been on to bang on about how unhappy they are and how ridiculous the network is? 

Fact is that this forum is skewed more towards those who are unhappy than those who are happy.

There is, and always will be, a bias toward the negative when anything like this occurs on a public forum such as this. Whilst those who have their phone as promised are likely oblivious the threads like this even existing, those who are still waiting even the slightest piece of news/information will gravitate toward somewhere like here to share what they have learned and see if anyone else has anything new to share. As a result, the thread will ultimately be predominantly filled with details of failings on O2's part.

That said, it doesn't devalue the thread in any way, nor make those poor souls who invested their time, effort, and (perhaps more importantly) MONEY in to the O2 brand to pre-order a phone any less valid in terms of opinion when they air those grievances.

I don't want to single you out Pablo, your posts on here that I have seen have been helpful and courteous, so I'll preface the following with clarification that it comes as a response to the issue, not you personally wink

O2 have messed up big time here. They have, rightly or wrongly (ok, it's wrongly, there's no hiding the fact), promised to deliver a product at a set time with no caveat or warning to the contrary and, indeed, continue to do so. They have failed to deliver on that promise (pun intentional - sorry!).

To over promise and then so dramatically under-deliver, it is more than understandable that the frustrations of those who post on the community should be so widespread and heartfelt, particularly when O2 continue to send out mixed messages and what appears to be blatant misinformation.

You only have to look through a couple of threads to see that there are conflicting stories being relayed dependent on the method of communication chosen, and that there is no consistency in those messages in any way. O2's motives for doing so are their own and, to be honest, the general feeling I get reading some of the conversations relayed on here is that they will say whatever they think they need to to get the customer off the phone with the belief that they might, just *might* get a phone before Christmas.

Don't get me wrong, I've been fairly defensive of O2 in the run up to launch day on here, trying to reassure people that O2 would come good on their promises and that it would all work out in the end as it is a major logistical exercise but, sadly, O2 have made me look a little stupid in that defence. That doesn't bother me, I can normally do a good enough job on my own(!) but it makes me wonder why I tried to defend them given they have, and continue to, let down a large number of customers with their misinformation.

I was one of the lucky ones who got their phone on launch day but, given I didn't order until 4 DAYS after some on here who are still waiting, I'm amazed as to how and why that is so.

It is time for O2 to either come clean and explain to each and every customer waiting for their phone why they didn't get it as promised, or to start giving realistic information out concerning prospective deliveries. To do neither is treating the customer with the otmost contempt in my eyes and, as such, I would expect there to continue to be a negative bias around here until they sort it.

As I've always said, there will never be a newspaper headline that says "Plane lands safely".

Message 26 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would agree here, I have been waiting for my phone and am not that fussed if it is late or not - I just want to know when it is getting  here and I would have preferred to know in advance that it was going to be late so that if I had wanted to I could have made an INFORMED decision at  the time whether I was going to wait or go to the shop to buy on the day/after

I think the reason that lots of people are getting angry is due to the lack of information or in some cases (O2 twitter feed) the completely wrong information. There were a lot of people who got their hopes up for Friday and it didnt happen, then got their hopes up for Monday....still didnt happen. 

I have been a long standing O2 customer and this will not change that, but I feel that if it was just shown that O2 realise that they have put us through a lot of hassle over this there would be a lot of problems solved

Message 27 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys,

To clarify the situation, I've created a thread about the situation here:
http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/iPhone-deliveries-for-preorders/m-p/30257...

Please feel free to head over there.

Cheers,
Leonard
Message 28 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Leonard,

Good work on getting the update.

Hopefully this information will make it's way across all channels as people are still getting very mixed messages when using the chat 'gurus' or calling Customer Services, etc.
Message 29 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

No problem. We're trying to spread it around the business as fast as we can slight_smile

Message 30 of 35