cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone damaged in o2 shop! Help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone, 

New to this forum so a big hello from me! 

Ive been a loyal pay monthly o2 customer for 8 years now and recently upgraded to the HTC one X in April.  Love the handset, especially after breaking away from the iphone 4.  

However Sat 2nd Sep, I plugged my 5 month old phone to charge and it was dead as a dodo, tried all manners of charging it and it was having none of it.  I use my phone for work and rushed off to the o2 shop on Monday (26miles there and back).  They said they would look at it as its still under warranty.  I needed a phone urgently and was told I could pay £25 to use an alternative handset while my phone was in for repair.  

Happily I handed over the money as I hadn't been able to talk, text or access work email's from Saturday.  What did I get? A samsung E212. I didn't realise until I got home that it had no wifi, no email access, not even 3g or anything to access my google mail account.  I don't even think the phone is worth £25.

The amount of work I lost last week was horrendous and I was never as happy as to receive a text from o2 on Monday evening that my phone was repaired! It was too late in the the evening to do the 56 miles to collect it, so off I went Tues to get my phone back.  

Signed everything and as luck would have it decided to put my sim back into my phone in front of the girl working in the shop.  

Took off all the lovely wrapping and discovered the screen on my HTC one x smashed to pieces.  I was totally devastated, and explained to the girl that that was not my phone as it was in perfect cosmetic order when I left it in.  She tried to argue with me that o2 would not have sent it back like that, and it must have been like that when I left it in 

Thankfully, the guy that had originally sent the phone in for repair for me, overheard the conversation.  He had remembered me, and had actually put in his notes that the phone I sent in was in excellent condition.  

After waiting another 45 mins in the shop, I was then told I had to wait another 3 working days for them to get me a replacement phone.  And off out the door I was sent with my Samsung E212 again totally miffed and shocked about what had just happened.  

I'm a bit peeved that Ive to wait another 3 days on to use the handset I'm paying monthly for, never mind the money and business Ive lost in the last week and half, due to no fault of my own.  Has anyone any advice, or any reason as to why Ive to wait 3 days? I was told Id be getting a brand new phone, but Ive a sneaking suspicion Ill be given a reconditioned handset? 

Any advice would be great thank you! 

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
I would call customer services and make sure they take a record of what you have said here. They may be in a position to offer some kind of compensation for you or at least escalate your problem. Good luck, it sounds like more poor service from O2 unfortunately.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 22

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

The £25 is a deposit for effectively renting a basic phone whilst yours was in for repair. Literally basic to get you through a short period rather than a like for like replacement! You should get that money back on return. I seriously can't believe that any o2 store would send a phone with a smashed screen to be repaired and then expect it to be returned fixed only with the other faults!

BTW, you may get a reconditioned phone which is stated in the T&C's as the fault may not be repairable on your original. It will still be covered for the remainder of the warranty period/contract.

Message 3 of 22

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Make a complaint and hopefully you will get some form of recompence. Won't cover any lost business but will bring it to their attention of the loan phones they are offering.

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref%28User%29:str%28Mob...

Message 4 of 22

macblank
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 520 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 23 Solutions
Magnersplease pm me. I have an email addy for u. U must promise not to openly spread it tho. LoL
Old Phone Geek!!! A Mobile User Since 1993
Samsung Galaxy S3

Feel Free to Add Kudos, If I Have Helped slight_smile
Message 5 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just goes to show that you need to make sure you check the phone before leaving the shop!

Message 6 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

My HTC One S faulted as well. I'm going abroad in 2 days and all O2 can do with the loan phone is E212 (or some other basic phone for calls and texts). And I NEED smartphone because I need the GPS and Internet in it.

I'm really disappointed at the O2 now and I'm considering cancelling the contract as they had two major outgages during the last 4 months (I'm with O2 just 5 months). I think they have breached the contract already.

Really, really, disappointed at O2. Not helpful at all. All I was hearing at the Festival Place Basingstoke branch yesterday was "I can't, we can't, etc.".

Well if you can't, then I neither can't pay your bills O2. I'm terrible sorry for this by the way...

Message 7 of 22

macblank
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 520 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 23 Solutions
@Lukaszw

I suggest if you feel that o2 haven't followed their advertised service for sending off fones for repair.

then I suggest you write a formal complaint.

however I think they have followed it. hence you having a loan fone (hopefully you weren't charged the£25 fee for a loan fone)

as far as I'm aware no network is obliged to give a loan fone, especially not a smartfone. this is why I bought a cheap handset from a 2nd hand fone shop.
Old Phone Geek!!! A Mobile User Since 1993
Samsung Galaxy S3

Feel Free to Add Kudos, If I Have Helped slight_smile
Message 8 of 22

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Network outages do not constitute a breach of contract I'm afraid, and if you refuse to pay your bill you will be credit blacklisted, so not a wise move on your behalf. There are procedures that can be followed to formally complain if you feel you are being mistreated. I suggest you follow that route first. You can't blame the network provider for your phone breaking either !!!!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello people! 

And thank you for all your replies.  

Take a look at the thread I posted after this and it will explain what happened next. My phone in fact broke AGAIN

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Can-I-get-refunded-for-4th-handset-in-6-months/m...

I did eventaully get the issue sorted, and recieved a new handset.  Touch wood, so far, no problems.  

It was a long and winding road, but my advice to anyone else with the same sort of issue, is make sure you make a formal complaint in writing and keep on at them.  Its the only way they will listen! 

Thanks again everyone 

Message 10 of 22