Did you mean: 

More "Galaxy" less Android?

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions

Morning everyone.

Depending on how well acquainted with the world of smartphones you are, you may have read at some point Samsungs plans on launching a new mobile platform operating system, potentially by the end of this year.

An operating system in the mobile world is basically the layout on your screen and its core features, iPhones have iOS, Samsung and Sony have Google's Android, Nokia has Windows Phone etc.

Tizen is Samsungs OS of choice and they have been putting significant work into making it market worthy, but what does this mean to us and the market?

Tizen running on a Samsung Device.

tizen_3up_560.jpg

Would you still buy a Samsung Galaxy if it did not run Android?

Could you survive without the wealth of Google applications (we all know by now that a new OS is always going to struggle to get the most commonly used apps quickly)?

Is the "Galaxy" a strong enough brand in its own right to suvive without Android?

Does the average mobile phone user even know the difference?

What are your thoughts?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If it's as "successful" as "Bada" was I'll be keeping well away from it......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
The Galaxy range IMO is only as successful as it is due to the excellent way it uses the Android OS.

Remove it and it'll suffer I think.
Message 3 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Totally agree ^^
It's the open source nature of android which is the attraction. With so many excellent phones running Android a move away would be suicide for Samsung. My guess is that will offer both platforms, create more confusion then eventually Tizen will die off, just like Bada did (remember VHS v's Betamax ;))
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions

You guys are very smartphone litterate, if that makes sense, so a change away from Android would be very noticeable, do you think your friends and family who may not be so informed would make the same choice?

Do the added features of Samsungs Touchwiz make the phone, or could you see yourself using it without them, a-la-stock Android or in this case, Tizen?

Working in a sales environment all day, the average customer usually references "Galaxy" not "Android" and clearly see's Samsung's offerings as completely different to Android on a HTC and Sony device.

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I guess the only time the "average Joe" would notice would be if they couldn't get their apps off Play and had to endure Samsung's app store wink

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

It's the old story, it isn't broken so let's try and fix it! Smiley Frustrated

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Bada was a big mistake, if it works, good but if it ain't broke, don't touch it
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
It does smell slightly like Ferrari trying a Lada engine just to see what happens!!
Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Seriously though, it does look like MIUI!!!
Message 10 of 10