Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Phone for older lady with Phonak hearing aids- quite deaf

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Im looking for a moile smartphone suited to a long term  hearing aid (Phonak) user. High tones big loss, all tones some loss. ( I have  PC knowledge and capable of using Photoshop to manipulate images).    Any suggestions welcome

I Tried Doro 410 and 420  but cant quite hear my son on it.(higher tones). So dont use it as a phone out of fear.! I also had trouble with charging them as the phones got to 18m old.

Im looking at  Amplicomms M9500   which is replacing the M9500 but is more expensive.It promises hearing aid loop use.Has the M9000 fulfil this ?

Does anyone know of any where online or otherwise where I can learn to use a smartphone. Ive never seemed to master the internet  and  use of apps. I can transfer images but other stuff is all new. Visual preferred to books. Sadly my partner isnt IT savvy and I have no close relatives, A few of my friends aren't even PC savvy nor textable.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Excellent new that you can trial a device. Hope the experience is a positive one.

Message 11 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Jenny105 ... thank you for your post above ... you write well & I hope all turns out well for you, please keep us informed because as said above  ^  ^  ^  your posts with help others ... Thanks!

Message 12 of 21

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Continuing with the info on trialling Amplicomms 4700

Ive tried this for a week

Its easy in the hand but hard on the fingers/thumb. Im still using text a lot. The pushing on buttons is hard on the fingers and cant find predictive text

The manual has 120 pages so its tricky trying to find info on predictive etc

I can hear it ring (theres a setting for hi low normal) , theres a choice to vibrate and ring which I like.

Im everso nerous to make calls but Ive made some and could hear most. Theres a switch on the side to allow the use of the extra loud setting.

I miss the smartphone of my Doro (which I couldnt hear) so I was looking forward to the arrival and trialling of AmplicommsM9500.  If it had a strength of ring and voice with Smartphone then i was back in business

Message 13 of 21

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

So here we go   2 days into trialling the Ampolicomms M49500

Oh dear this a phone for Dummies ! Im not a dummy which has got me into difficulty.  Early days but this is what I found.

There is a tiny few pages about the phone

There is a welcome page for set up I skipped the wi fi page to get on with the phone section. I now find the welcome page happens only once and now cant find out how to do this

The phone is so simple - I cant use it. With the Doro there were lots of settings , vibrate and ring, different ringtones, and manny more.   In M9500 you seem to have to click (and firm click) on something and then look for the questions you need answered. Im not feeling in charge.

Calls I tried a couple of calls I couldnt hear my son unless he slowed down and put his phone to his mouth. I rang hubby from a swim pool. I couldnt hear him well so pressed a large button on screen . Yes i could hear but my grandaughter saiid she could too. HANDS FREE.

I am very disappointed in this. I trial it a bit longer

I miss my slide , tap and self control DORO 420 but i cant hear on it . More anon

Message 14 of 21

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Certainly not an ideal phone for you especially if you have to have speaker phone on too. Thanks for the update but I would continue looking around at other options.

Message 15 of 21

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Better news and not so good news. today . I retried the M9500 with and without loop system and also with music programme for calls Hooray , but I saved contacts from old phone onto the SIM as dictated by Ampli's instruction. None showing up and theres no extra instruction in the manuak for this. Doro has a setting to choose for this. I will press onward and let you know a more concise appraisal later.
Message 16 of 21

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
You'll probably have to select the correct "contacts to show" settings.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 17 of 21

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Jenny105,

Its been incredibly interesting to read your reviews of these devices and their ease of use. I shall be sharing this with our accessibility team in O2 to see what we can learn from you. Well done! 

Oh, and welcome to the community slight_smile

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 18 of 21

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

It's hard to fully understand the problems with hearing and mobile phones unless you have a hearing impediment. I hope O2 can learn something from this. OK it may be a very small market but for a company who once prided themselves on being at the forefront of customer service and customer care surely they can research and provide equipment for a minority of customers.  I say minority but with a customer base of over 20 million I am sure disabled people run into the thousands. Let's make no mistake  here, hearing IS a disability. Mine is manageable but the things other people take for granted and dismiss lightly are very real to so many.

Message 19 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Which is why this thead and @Jenny105's contribution was an absolute eye opener for those of us who take certain things for granted. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 21