Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Companies Overcharging Customers

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Just read a report on the BBC Red Button service that Vodafone, EE and Three are continuing to charge customers for their mobile phones even after the cost of the handset has been paid off.

Citizens Advice found that customers who didn't take out a new contract are paying an average extra £22 a month..

The government advised mobile firms to inform customers when they had paid for their handsets.

But, of course, the operators said their billing systems were fair.

Maybe it's just me but how do you not know when you have paid off your handset. It's 24 months or, if you like, 2 years from the date you receive the handset. I got my present phone 20th April 2017 so my contract for the handset ends 20th April 2019. Unless, of course, I pay it off earlier.

Anyway, O2 have Refresh which means this couldn't happen with them, hopefully.

Just thought this would be an interesting comparison in view of the negative feedback about the services O2 are planning to cut. It would seem that O2 are not alone in their unfair treatment of customers. And it's something to bear in mind for those thinking of leaving O2.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Source of article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41679408

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I notice according to the study, people aged over 65 were the most likely to be stung - with 23% staying on their contract past the end of the fixed deal period.

However, I am with O2 and on a 12 month sim only deal and unless I give notice or upgrade/take out a new contract etc, I will continue to pay the same, as the contract rolls on month by month. Slightly different to being overcharged fro a handset though.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 9

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Glory1I think O2 must have heard of this overcharging practice. I saw this on FB today... posted by O2 wink

o2 warning.PNG

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

How is this new news?

It seems blatantly obvious to me that you pay for your handset over the course of your contract and the networks always contact you when your due for renewal.

If a person doesn't move to sim only or upgrade to a new handset then that's their problem....not the networks.

Message 5 of 9

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I think the point Citizens Advice are making @Anonymous is these networks are not contacting their customers at the end of their contracts but continue to charge them for the handsets they've already paid for.

I did make the point that you should know when your contract is due to end as it's 24 months (2 years) from the date you receive the handset.

Personally, prior to going on refresh I didn't wait for O2 to contact me. I contacted them to upgrade.

Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Glory1 wrote:
I think the point Citizens Advice are making @Anonymous is these networks are not contacting their customers at the end of their contracts but continue to charge them for the handsets they've already paid for.

I did make the point that you should know when your contract is due to end as it's 24 months (2 years) from the date you receive the handset.

Personally, prior to going on refresh I didn't wait for O2 to contact me. I contacted them to upgrade.

I have never known a network NOT to contact the customer when due for renewal; wether the customer decides to speak to the advisor is a different issue and not the networks fault.

Message 7 of 9

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Add to that, many of those people were in the over 65 age bracket, and probably thought they would be informed.. I agree it is the responsibility of the individual. Having said that, when my home and contents insurance runs out..I am informed, same with pet insurance. Add to that cover for my Sky HD box. So basically if companies want you to renew they will contact you...Swings and roundabouts really...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 9

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Like you @Cleoriff I'm always contacted when my home insurance and contents cover is due to run out. But even if I wasn't I know the renewal date and, if for some reason they failed to contact me, I would contact them well before the cover ended.

You just have to be on top of these things.

Message 9 of 9