cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MiFi Plus aerial vs Phone Hotspot

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone have any data/experience on using a MiFi unit plus an aerial vs a mobile phone as a hotspot?

I wondering if I might reasonably get a better signal with a MiFi unit plus aerial whilst commuting to and from work each day. For reasons I can't fathom, the mobile phone companies, looking at you O2, do not put base stations along the line...you know so that people who pay money each month for data would be able to get it when they're otherwise trapped in a train carriage.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Mifi of any kind still relies on receiving a data signal so if the unit can receive a signal it will provide data for you. This is more dependent on the network you are using but yes generally I’ve found mifi to provide a stronger signal.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

The other issue with trains is they are metal boxes with metal coatings on the windows making it  difficult for any signal to get in to the carriages not just the lack of local masts to the tracks 

interesting article here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/telecoms/12068018/Governm...

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies @MI5 and @adamtemp64.

Quiet a few aerials have the option of attach to a window which motivated the question. I may try sticking the smart phone in a mesh bag and suckering that to the window as a first experiement.

Regarding the article, we're now in Q3 2017 and there seems to be very little deployment. The new super uncomfortable and less spotted trains run by GNR do have onboard wifi, but requires re-entering your name, telephone number, etc every single time you use it.

Message 4 of 5

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

The main issue was the emphasis on population coverage and not sparsely populated areas like road and rail networks even the 4g auction only stated population areas 98% . 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 5