cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mandatory Insurance or not Mandatory Service?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just got my upgrade to a Desire.

I had to have the £7.50 insurance but I could cancel by phoning within 14 days.

I cancelled as fast as I could. They still charged me for the first month but after another call my account is being credited with the month and the part of the contract month that I had my iphone as well which I guess makes it a retrospective charge?

So, I will get my money back. The question is why this charge is automatically applied to the new contract with the only out being the customer cancelling within 14 days. This is a new form of inertia selling surely? I go in a shop to buy a phone and I end up with an insurance policy that I don't want, and it is incumbent upon me to actually cancel. If I don't I am into 18 or 24 months times £7.50 which is either £135 or £180. Fairly substantial sums on top of a £40 + £5 a month contract.

My question to the O2 Bottom Line enhancers is: Why can't I opt out at the point of sale? If I am offered extended warranties in Currys or similar I can say no. I recall that some companies are making most of their profits through peddling of unwanted insurance policies. Is this the new way of O2 increasing their ARPU?

I am pretty sure it must be. I am guessing that the only reason they give you 14 days is to stay inside customer protection legislation that is not currently specifically aimed at telcos yet but probably should be.

So, what sort of value is this 'nearly mandatory' insurance?

According to dissatisfied customers out in the web-world it is worthless. For some of those complaining elsewhere who have handed over £15 a month for iphone insurance it is money down the drain.

I know that nobody ever writes into sites to say what a great service they had but I am equally sure that many of those who have a legitimate cause for complaint never write on the web as well. All in all I reckon that there are real grounds for concern about this insurance with many complaints about:
replacements that never turn up,
callers kept waiting for lengthy times and then being dropped,
of escape and evasion clauses in the contract that specifically exclude a claim for a lost phone if it wasn't used by the owner in the last 48 hours,
of people unable to get through for a week and when they do being told that they have not met the 48 hour criteria etc etc.

All of it looks like sharp practice. Is that what O2 are providing? Costly & unrequested service that uses every and all reasons to escape liability.

Top tip O2. If I want insurance I will buy my own insurance which meets my needs and not the single choice of one that is provided by companies that are more mindful of their own revenue returns than the needs of consumers.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
just out of curiousity, where did you get your phone from? As far as i know being told you had to take insurance is total nonsense.
Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
just out of curiousity, where did you get your phone from? As far as i know being told you had to take insurance is total nonsense.

O2 in Plymouth when I was there on holiday. I have spoken to O2 three times since and they have never contradicted the 'compulsory with a 14 day cancellation period insurance' story so I am guessing it is policy. This is my 4th O2 phone in a row and I have never had it thrust in my contract before so they have changed the rules. My guess is that is more likely to be for their advantage than mine. Perhaps I am getting cynical.

I was talking to Ally in chat and she says it has always been that way. That may be what it says on her script but it is not the case.
Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've never heard of insurance being compulsory when buying from O2. I know that some places like phones4u will tell you its compulsory.
If O2 have started doing this, its a very poor show.
Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
No insurance is not compulsory.
Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
No insurance is not compulsory.

It is in Plymouth Wanty
Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
My view is that the sales persons get commission on:
1. Phone model - Desire is pushed, IPhone isn't (the funding comes from the phone provider)
2. Insurance - standard throughout the insurance/assurance business - it is commision that removes value from the investor and returns it to the sales company and staff
3. Accessories - real (unsuccessful) push on those from my salesman

Perhaps O2 have a view on this?
Message 7 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93346 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6986 Solutions
They must lose their phones more in Plymouth slight_smile

Seriously, I have bought 2 phones at the O2 store in Bolton within the last 3 months, and whilst insurance was offered, I declined and there was no issue with that. Surely Plymouth should not be deviating from company policy unless retailers have been asked to push insurance.

In this modern era of targets, profit margins and bonuses, it would be no surprise but I would be dreadfully disappointed in O2 if this is the case.

Surely not?
Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Understood stevyjones but I can't understand why they have never contradicted me when I spoke to them about it subsequently. I can see their logic - a fair proportion would not cancel so they are in profit.

I just knew that even though I cancelled the day I got back from holiday I was going to find it on my next bill though. :robotmad:

As to policy - I am sure that O2 can respond if they want to. I can give them date/time and contract number and salesperson if they need it.
Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
You'll have to contact O2 direct, we are all customers here.
I have to say I'm very sceptical that this is O2 policy. When other retailers were caught doing this, they were fined.
Perhaps the store you went to is franchised and has instigated this policy?
Message 10 of 14