Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Tleaves 

If you are moving abroad to live, then the short answer is no. O2 only allow 63 days in any 4 month period before they start charging you international rates.  It's called fair use. Using an O2 phone abroad is for 'holiday use'.

https://www.o2.co.uk/roamfairuse  

You would be better off using a local sim and letting everyone know your new number.

Remember you can keep in touch with people in the UK if you (and they) they use Messenger or Whatsapp over Wifi.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 6

MI5
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Tleaves 

Roaming restrictions only apply to EU countries, although this may change in the new year.

If moving outside of EU you can keep using your phone as much as you want as long as you pay the charges.

Cost of using your phone abroad here O2 International

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 6

Tleaves
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for that info , wasn’t aware of that . 

if I moved my contract to pay as you go ( so at least I still have a UK number ) does that still apply . I’m thinking about banks etc that still need a uk number attached to them . I had heard that as long as I make a call every 6 months to keep the line active …

Message 4 of 6

MI5
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

Banks will send verification texts to foreign numbers @Tleaves 

Just update your contact number with them.

My French bank texts my UK number so it's not a problem.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Tleaves wrote:

Thanks for that info , wasn’t aware of that . 

if I moved my contract to pay as you go ( so at least I still have a UK number ) does that still apply . I’m thinking about banks etc that still need a uk number attached to them . I had heard that as long as I make a call every 6 months to keep the line active …

Keeping the line active (for PAYG) doesn't apply when you are moving abroad @Tleaves 

Also international rates are expensive if you are on contract or PAYG. Depending where you are moving to.

As I said, far easier and cheaper in the long run to use a local sim.

and wifi to keep in touch with anyone back in the UK.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 6