cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 4 and O2 Carphonewarehouse account

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have an O2 phone from Carphonewarehouse - they manage my account as well. This is a sim only contract for 24 months. I asked about buying a sim free Iphone 4 from Apple to use BUT I was told this is not possible. I was asked to start a new contract.

This is an expensive option - surely being an O2 customer, they should provide a micro sim replacement?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
if you order a SIM free iPhone from the Apple.com/uk site and pay for it which your chosen method then they will sent it to you regardless of who your provide is or what network you are on.

think its about £599 for the 16G version.
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
if you order a SIM free iPhone from the Apple.com/uk site and pay for it which your chosen method then they will sent it to you regardless of who your provide is or what network you are on.
think its about £599 for the 16G version.

Problem is Carphonewarehouse not providing the new replacement micro sim.
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
It is a useful information!!!
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the same problem. I went to o2 and said that I wanted to buy iphone 4. The staff gave me a micro-sim and said that I can call up customer service and transfer my old sim to the new one. I said to him that I was a carhphonewarehouse o2 customer, he said is ok. So I went to Apple to queue for an-hour for the iphone 4. Activated the phone, sync everything from itunes. Called customer service the next day, they said that my contract is a carphonewarehouse o2 contract, so I can't use iphone 4!! Carphonewarehouse don't support iphone 4. And I can ask o2 to do it for me, becasue I'm in my OLD contract!The only thing I can do is to cancel my contract which I have to pay for an extra 10 months!!

That's the problem for using carphonewarehouse for so long. I returned my phone. Will buy it again next year in June- then I shall never use carphonwearhouse again. They are just rubbish. I don't have any discount on my contract and get all the troubles. I'm sure I will only use O2 direct when my contract ends.
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good news, o2 are taking over all customers that are currently managed by carphone warehouse and migrating them onto the o2 direct billing system. This means at some point in the next few months you'll have no issues activating a micro sim onto your account. If you call carphone warehouse they can give you more info on the migration however I don't know if they can provide a specific date that you'll move.
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi. I can confirm after a long battle that CPW customers cannot get micro sims activated on their account. I ended up cutting my regular sim down with scissors using online instructions. I didn't even do a particularly good job. I can confirm that my new home made micro sim works perfectly in my contract free iPhone 4. If you don't have a steady hand, sim cutters (metal hole punches for automatically cutting a regular to a micro sim) can be purchased on eBay for around £4.
Don't even try arguing with either CPW or O2 about getting a micro sim. They aren't interested. Just make your own.
Message 7 of 7