Did you mean: 

International text messages

lukisr
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hello community!
Recently I have noticed a problem with incoming international text messages from a number on my contact list. Every time that person sends me a message it is shown as it would have been send from a local United Kingdom number (each message comes from a different one). When receiving phone calls from that international number everything seems fine, same with texts and calls from that number to my sisters phone which is operating on different UK network which I won't mention from obvious reasons. I have read that it might have to do something with roaming but I don't know how to fix that and the problem occured recently. Live chat wasn't very helpful so I would like to ask if anyone here have had similar problem and knows how to fix it. Unfortunately I have no way of testing it with another international number to see results. Thank you for any help in advance!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
@lukisr

Are the text's coming from a number that begins +447802 by any chance?

It is usually down to the host network from your contact supressing Caller ID or it been corrupt when sent across to the UK.

I have seen this especially from colleagues in Manila texting me.

The only think i can think of is ask your contact to contact their network provider.

Also is your phone a personal or work phone? As some work phones are on a system called Mobex which causes issues with international services.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 7

lukisr
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
The number is different everytime like I mentioned: +447805XXX194, +447715XXX816, +447176XXX208 and many more. I am a little to afraid to try to text it back or call in case it is some new form of phising. And like I mentioned it looks more like a o2 issue because my sister gets no problems at all and she is with different network operator here in UK. Everything was fine before so I have no idea what could have caused it to start acting like this.
Message 3 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9988 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
@lukisr

From doing a bit of digging it could be that the foreign network is using a SMS hub to do the interconnect to o2.
And possibly the other UK network has a direct connection.

When did this change as well.

What is the Non UK network?

Also might be worth calling o2 on 202 from your handset.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 7

lukisr
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@madasaf1sh

End of April this year it was fine, so it must have happened somewhere in May.

The Non UK network is Orange Poland.

Looks like until I test it with different foreign number I can't really be sure what is going on.

I don't really fancy spending my time on customer service line when I have already tried the Live chat where I could explain everything nice and clear and that wasn't much of help.
Message 5 of 7

lukisr
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Update: the problem fixed itself.
Message 6 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Not unusual with O2
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 7