cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International calls - misleading charges?!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

last month I went to Thailand and met an Australian friend out there for a week. I got a text saying calls back to the uk will be £1.50 per minute. I literally only phoned the Australian number my friend has while we were BOTH in Thailand only. Now I've seen I've been charged £98 for the phone calls and messages sent to him. How misleading?! I was told the charges were if I were contacting someone back in the UK and I feel completely mislead and ripped off. Any advice?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124204 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

The thing is you were using a UK phone in Thailand and your friend was using his Australian network phone in Thailand ...so in effect it would have been a UK network calling an Australian network on your mobile

I am sure this is the reason for the high charges. Have you contacted customer services to query it @Anonymous?

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus If I have this wrong someone will correct me but I am sure this is the reason...

Now if you and your friend had popped a Thai sim in your phones to stay in contact...the cost would have been negligible

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
  • 124204 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7513 Solutions

The thing is you were using a UK phone in Thailand and your friend was using his Australian network phone in Thailand ...so in effect it would have been a UK network calling an Australian network on your mobile

I am sure this is the reason for the high charges. Have you contacted customer services to query it @Anonymous?

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus If I have this wrong someone will correct me but I am sure this is the reason...

Now if you and your friend had popped a Thai sim in your phones to stay in contact...the cost would have been negligible

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

so in effect it would have been a UK network calling an Australian network on your mobile

Seems an accurate explanation to me.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 3 of 7

Bambino
  • 23525 Posts
  • 1035 Topics
  • 3747 Solutions

Sounds like you've worked that out correctly @Cleoriff.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 7

jonsie
  • 93267 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

I can also confirm that charges are billed per second so if you made a call literally lasting 3 or 4 seconds (diverted for the operator etc) you will be charged for the full minute.

Message 5 of 7

jonsie
  • 93267 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

....and as @Cleoriff says, the charges quoted in the text are for calls and texts to a UK mobile number or land line. 

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 146925 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28263 Solutions
£98 for one call - I'd be fumin !!!!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 7 of 7