Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting topic

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

This ought to provoke a little discussion. I see pros and cons. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/education-47101875

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

As the options are Ban, Restrict, Allow, than I would go for Restrict.

I know we have to move with the times...but there needs to be systems put in place to make sure children aren't playing games, texting or using them to go on FB.

If not monitored closely the use of phones in school will mean the demise of all social interaction between children. Playing games and chatting will become a thing of the past.

That's my opinion for what it's worth. There again, I lived in an era where we managed very well without smartphones. I didn't need to ring my parents to let them know what time I would be home. It was a given.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 5

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

I'd say a total ban except I know that won't work as kids are ingenious in finding ways around a total ban. I know it's been many many years since I was a child but I still remember how I got round doing what I was supposed not to do. So I know a ban just won't work.

So the next best thing is restrict their use in school. Teach them how to use their phones responsibly. Playing games, messaging and social media is for after school hours. And phones can be a great learning tool. 

Now how teachers manage that with everything they already have to cope with is another matter altogether. But a total ban won't work and will only makes some very unhappy rebellious kids who will fight the restrictions and make teaching them harder than it already is.

Parents could help by not giving in and buying the latest iPhone as soon as it comes out and taking some responsibility for how their children use their phones at home. In other words a two-pronged attack between teachers and parents. Maybe then children would realise there's more to a smartphone then games, texting and social media.

I live in hope.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 3 of 5

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Interesting indeed, @Bambino, thanks for sharing this one! I'll be very curious to see what, if anything, is put in place going forward nerd

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 5

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10765 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

@EmilieT wrote:

Interesting indeed, @Bambino, thanks for sharing this one! I'll be very curious to see what, if anything, is put in place going forward nerd

I can only say I am very grateful I do not need to battle this one!

Good luck everyoneinnocent

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 5 of 5