Did you mean: 

Incorrect default on my O2 account

baybars
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Dear all,

I opened an account with O2 back in February 2022 (which was part of a Virgin broadband bundle) but then cancelled within the 14-day cooling period. (Virgin couldn't provide the service etc., not relevant) 

Even though I was told I don't owe O2 any money, I kept receiving auto-emails about monthly bills, therefore I rang O2 3-4 times asking if there is anything further I need to do about this. I was told to ignore those emails, it's an error on their end and (again) I don't owe O2 any money.

Later on, around August, I saw a default appearing on my credit file (I use Credit Karma), stating that 'missing payment to O2' caused this. This damaged my credit file so badly that I can't apply for any personal loan, car loan or mortgage.

At that time, I also received an email from the O2 team, saying I should give their credit file team a call. I called them (Sep 2022) and they again said; don't worry this is just an error, they will inform the credit agency and my credit score should go back to normal shortly. I then received another email saying to give them another call, and when I called them, I realised nothing was done, so the same thing over again, they finally sent me an email on 18 October 2022 saying; "the Write-off reversal has already been done to clear the account balance. Credit file amendment form has been submitted and the credit file will be updated accordingly in 30-60 days." 

It has been more than 60 days, my credit score is still at the same level and the default is still appearing on my file. I started feeling like they are completely ignoring this.

Do you think I should seek legal advice? Have you been able to deal with a similar issue before? 

Thank you

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Motirrep
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Baybars,

I'm too in a similar situation unfortunately and struggling to get a swift response from O2. Just to ask, did you ever get any postal notification stating you was to go into default?

I would take this up with the ombusdman as a next step as O2 will be charged for each complaint and have a duty to respond to all complaints raised with them.

I do really hope you're able to get this resolved quickly!

Message 2 of 5

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10571 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3093 Solutions

@baybars 

Credit file updates take a lot longer at the moment upto 6 months in some respects, due to how the CRA's work, basically they are slow as hell..  
Credit Karma are the slowest...

So check all of them, as it might have been removed from some but not all, if it hasnt been removed, raise a query direct with the CRA, and they will do investigations. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 5

baybars
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @Motirrep 

No, unfortunately I haven't received any postal notification. The only written confirmation I have is that email saying "the Write-off reversal has already been done..." 

I will issue a complaint with the ombudsman - thank you. 

I rang them again this morning, and they once again confirmed that 'the account is closed, and the balance shows £0' -that they say I don't owe them anything. When I ask, how come I still see a balance on my Trans Union report- they can't figure out how that's happening.

I will keep you posted if there are any updates.

Message 4 of 5

baybars
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @madasaf1sh 

Thank you, I've already raised a dispute at Trans Union (using the information here https://help.creditkarma.co.uk/s/article/Dispute-incorrect-information-on-my-credit-report )

I have also sent O2 a letter yesterday explaining the situation. 

Will keep here posted if there are any updates.

Message 5 of 5