cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect IMEI number

Anonymous
Not applicable

It appears that the IMEI number on my iphone is different to the IMEI number printed on my contract. This is causing a major headache with my insurance company as I don't have a valid receipt. Does anyone have any useful suggestions for resolving this issue?

Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
All I can think of is that you go back to your insurance and explain the genuine mistake and give them details from your My O2.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

take the handset back to the store as more often then not the phone has got mixed up in boxes as they are taken out to show customers, hopefully they will have the correct box in store still.. if not they will be able to rectify and print new recipt @Anonymous slight_smile

Message 2 of 17

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Have you ad an exchange phone/repair. The IMEI in My O2 is associated with the phone that the sim card is set in. What IMEI shows up when you dial *#06#. If it's different than my O2 you need to call customer service. 

Message 3 of 17

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
What is the history of the phone you have now?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion but I got the phone from Phones 4U 2.5 years ago. Even if they hadn't gone out of business they would be unlikely to have the correct box after all this time. I do have the box at home and will check, but I don't think that will help my case at all. I can't prove that this is the same phone to the insurers as I don't have a 'proper' receipt!

I did read that the network can link the IMIE number to the SIM - is this the case? If so I could prove that both have been in use together for the same period of time, which might help.

Message 5 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is different - thanks for the suggestion, I think my next step is to call customer services.

Message 6 of 17

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Look in your My O2 - It will give you the IMEI number of the phone in use on your account.
http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

Currently using:
Message 7 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
  • I got it 2.5 years ago from Phones4U with O2
  • Took advantage of free insurance at work a few months ago and had to give the IMEI number when I registered
  • Dropped it in water 2 weeks ago
  • Sent the insurance company my contract as the receipt
  • This is when it came to light that the IMEI number on the phone is different to that on the contract, something I had failed to check when I got the phone - won't do that again!
  • So I now have no way of proving ownership and age of the phone
Message 8 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

so its now a dispute case between you and insurance, with P4U no longer trading its going to be a hard one to prove. as paperwork and recipt will be different to phone and not being able to prove age of phone etc. I dont think you will get very far tbh. but on the plus side you should be able to upgrade slight_smile

Message 9 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

The IMIE number from my phone is correct, it's the one on my contract which proves ownership that is wrong. Not sure how to solve it.

Message 10 of 17