Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image editing tools of choice

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

With all the hype or excitement around recent smartphones with professional quality camera imaging. Often overlooked is the software required to enhance or embellish your captured images. The majority of people who don't require a certain quality of reproduction it might not matter. Although what about those who do care?

Firstly, all JPEG images are compressed and lossy so you are not getting an honest reflection of what was captured. This is where you should use the RAW format which retains more information about each image.  In turn, the size of file is larger alas as they are unprocessed by any JPEG algorithm it will be intact from any pixel shifting or bilinear filtering used to reduce the image size.  The format known as DNG acts as a digital negative which can used in any supporting software. I will be subscribing to Adobe light room for a year for this purpose.

Besides colour grading, image correction,  adjustments and that sort of things it also gives you the tools to remove objects or unwanted photobombers whilst preserving the image integrity.  For an android app it should serve as a good alternative to photo applications full of gimmicks  but no real control over the actual images.

I'm not aware of any Android alternatives like corel photo-paint or paintshop Pro. Anyway it is early days yet. If the S pen is any use to me with this I might get one later on next year.

Of course a laptop is the best solution but why not have an alternative for photographing on the go?

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Brillinat article, @anticpated!

Some handy screenshot (rather than full photo!) editing tools, 2 are Apps (Android) and one on-line:

On-line: Zippy Photo Stitcher

App: Adobe Photoshop Express Photo Editor

App: Pixlr Free Photo

And if you want to try chopping together or adding sound to Video:

App: VLLO Video Editor and Maker

It benefits from the cheap yearly cost to get full features though, about £7/year)

Message 2 of 5

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Yes. I watched a video on YouTube yesterday and I inspired me to learn to a bit more than just relying on automatic mode.

One day I will get a dslr when I have the skills to utilise it. 

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 3 of 5

lamhaocc
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Message 4 of 5

Oxonian
Level 27: Desk Jockey
  • 4897 Posts
  • 81 Topics
  • 20 Solutions

@anticpated 

I have never attempted image editing on a 'phone, but for the last 25 years, my viewer/editor of choice on Windows has been :-

IrfanView - Official Homepage - One of the Most Popular Viewers Worldwide

https://www.irfanview.com/

Message 5 of 5