cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPhone 6 WiFi Calling

Anonymous
Not applicable
I noticed that Apple said that WiFi calling in the UK would be supported by EE. Anyone know if that is an exclusive deal, or can we expect O2 to offer the same in due course? Given the appalling reception for O2 I get in our house this would be a great feature.
Message 1 of 144
143 REPLIES 143

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144086 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

My wife has EE WiFi calling and it is infinitely better than TuGo. O2, wake up and smell the daisies! Bin TuGo and adopt solid usable technology from Apple. Next week, do you think that's doable??

Only for iPhones though.

Please keep Tugo for android.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 61 of 144

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can anybody explain to me the difference between "Apple WiFi Calling" and WiFi Calling on an iPhone.

I had always assumed they were the same.

However, I've been told twice by O2 that Apple's WiFi Calling is already available and any problems with it are the responsibility of Apple NOT O2.  So enable "Apple WiFi Calling" you go Settings->Phone->WiFi Calling.

However the enable procedure O2 describe it identical to that used by for e.g EE, Vodafone, etc.

In fact, this "Apple WiFi Calling" is something (Apparently) Apple have already released and if you don't have the means to enable it you have to update your iPhone software !!

So, having been told this twice (once verbally and once in writing by a more senior person) and having been pretty familiar with the iOS platform for some time (as a Objective C software developer ... well I must be very confused.

Message 62 of 144

MI5
  • 144086 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Apple have released it but it only works on EE afaik ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 63 of 144

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

As yet O2 do not support wifi calling. You have to activate Apple wifi calling in order to use a network that supports it so yes they are the same but will only work on EE and Voda.

Message 64 of 144

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

As yet O2 do not support wifi calling. You have to activate Apple wifi calling in order to use a network that supports it so yes they are the same but will only work on EE and Voda.

Which is where I'm getting confused.  Because they say O2 does not support WiFi Calling.  And then go on to say that Apple WiFi Calling is comething Apple have released with their new software and can be found Settings>Phone>WiFiCalling and that if I don't have that option I need to update my software.  I can't quote the letter (it was "Private and Confidential" for some reason), but just is that Apple have released new software that allows you to make calls over WiFi and that enabled used by Settings>Phone>WiFi Calling - which is what I thought the WiFi Calling was all about and that we were still waiting on O2.

Message 65 of 144

Cleoriff
  • 122769 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

Would @Chris_K be able to advise us on this?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 66 of 144

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions
Message 67 of 144

MI5
  • 144086 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

If it's an o2 specific update that is required it will be in the form of a carrier update. Connect to iTunes and see if it offers you anything.

Currently using:
Message 68 of 144

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

O2 does not currently support Apple Wi-fi calling.

As some of you are aware, you can use the TU Go app for calling over Wi-fi.

If this situation ever changes, we shall let you know.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 69 of 144

MI5
  • 144086 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Didn't think they did - is this more re-training for live chat required?

Currently using:
Message 70 of 144