cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPhone 6 WiFi Calling

Anonymous
Not applicable
I noticed that Apple said that WiFi calling in the UK would be supported by EE. Anyone know if that is an exclusive deal, or can we expect O2 to offer the same in due course? Given the appalling reception for O2 I get in our house this would be a great feature.
Message 1 of 144
143 REPLIES 143

Anonymous
Not applicable

After hanging on and hanging on, after having had so many "it's going to be done by ..." broken I've finally moved to another provider with Wi-Fi Calling and it is absolutely fabulous.  I rally cannot yet believe the contrast with TuGo.  No more farty noises at regular intervals.  You dial, called party answers and you talk.  None of these error messages that need the app to be killed off and restarted to complete the call, no more ring rng ring answer and no audio.  It just works and is excellent quality (far better than TuGo).

And it was partially that O2 have told me "not happening", "iPhone 6(s) only" iPhone 5s/c upwards only" and varying dates by O2 recently (add in "it's not going well", add in on two occasions managers promising to call back within 30 mins and 24 hours and my then hearing nothing).

And then add in that O2 wanted to ncrease the price of my contract by nearly 30% (for the same contract) ... well they have basically just pushed me away (and if they are pushing me away they will be pushing others away as well).

Message 91 of 144

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

You have to do what's best for yourself and go with the network that provides you with your needs. Good luck and hope all stays well with your network change.

Message 92 of 144

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Good luck and remember you can't call back home free when abroad with WiFi calling.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 93 of 144

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Good luck and remember you can't call back home free when abroad with WiFi calling.

You just use a VPN (which I already do on my computers and they also allow mobiles to be conected through and I already have all the software/configs loaded - I just don't usually enable the route).

Message 94 of 144

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Fine for you but not everyone has that knowledge.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 95 of 144

Anonymous
Not applicable

Feel the need to point out that Wi-Fi calling uses GPS and cell tower data to locate you and sends this information back to the network for billing, so a VPN won't help you here.

In the UK with only EE supporting wifi calling, they charge you the full international rates. TU Go is less polished but does have an advantage here. AT&T in the US lets WiFi calling users get free international roaming. It'd be nice for O2 to adopt this.

Message 96 of 144

Anonymous
Not applicable

Where I live customers are dumping o2 hand over fist because they don't have wi-fi calling.

Message 97 of 144

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
That's fine as long as you don't rely on Tugo for travel outside of UK.
Wifi calling can't get you free calls back home, can it?

Currently using:
Message 98 of 144

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think people in rural areas are more concerned about being able to make and receive calls in thier own home!

If you have a wi fi connection overseas surly you can use skype or face time?

Message 99 of 144

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
You can't use skype off your normal phone number that everyone would normally use to contact you on. You also don't need wifi for tugo overseas - you can use the phones data connection either off your o2 sim whilst in EU or a local sim whilst outside of EU.
Whichever way, it is still free to use your own UK allowances (except mobile data costs) wherever you are in the world.

Currently using:
Message 100 of 144