cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INSURANCE - what a joke

Anonymous
Not applicable
First of all I am a loyal o2 customer who has probably spent thousands in the past few years with this company so to be given service like this I am really not amused. I purchased a Sony Ericsson W595 in december from o2 shop and was sold mobile phone insurance, which I thought would be a good idea seen as I had only a month ago bought a W595 which was unrepairable and I had to fork out for another mobile so soon after.

Two weeks ago, the phone started freezing up, and id have to switch it on and off, taking the battery out to get it booted up again. It then failed to switch on, so I took it into the o2 store and they told me to contact the insurance company on the documents they sent me. Last week I rang up o2 again, told them the issue then waited on hold to the most annoying hold music (same track over and over and over) for 45 minutes to be told by the operator to call back first thing next day as it was just 'too busy' with the new iphone being out. (so why should other customers be penalised because a new phone is out!)

I rang back late last week (bear in mind the frustration of being non contactable all this time)and endured another near 50 minute wait to the hold music. (Im at work too bear in mind). Eventually the guy from o2 got hold of the insurers and he had a spiel of questions to ask me. I answered them ie when did the phone break etc and he seemed happy enough. I was then instructed to fax my policy sheet through to the insurers along with my name, number and a good time to call. I done this, but shock horror heard nothing.

Today I rang back again, and had about a 20 minute wait to be told 'take it into your o2 shop' I just couldnt believe my ears. I already done that with my last phone and they sent it away for 2 weeks, only for me to be told 'we cant fix it'. So just not prepared to do that again, I use my phone for everything and cant really function without it as people from work need to get hold of me for shifts, or to tell me where im based that particular day etc etc i have been SO frustrated.

This is a genuine case of my phone buggering up and no longer working - what do I pay insurance for?! I would have rather they said when I first went into the store 'sorry this is going to take weeks on end to make a claim, and even then its not guaranteed - just buy a new phone'. I work full time - its not practical to sit on hold for hours on end, or trail in and out of town, park , pay for your parking, go in to o2 shops etc, especially when I work 8-6 most days.

I have been with o2 for years and have always promoted them to other people, and declined tempting contracts from elsewhere due to my loyalty values. The way I feel I have been treated has left me without a functioning mobile phone and caused me a lot of problems workwise and personally. I have also lost all my 300 odd numbers, pictures and videos, its not even like im just after a new phone as id stick with that one for another couple of years if needbe, saves the hardship of transferring numbers etc. But the main thing is I need a phone that works, which is why I agreed to this insurance.

I refuse to be mucked about any longer, or make any more calls to get nowhere. I tried to write to o2 online but their form asked me when I last topped up, I have no idea so therefore I was unable to contact them - fantastic barrier there!!

I will probably buy a new phone tonight or tomorrow as I need it to lead my life as I do, which means I have been paying insurance for nothing as it has been abobut as much help god knows what.

I trust that seen as the phone I have got the insurance out on is no longer working that I wont have to pay the insurance for it?! I should really expect a refund seen as o2 have sold me a service they couldnt deliver. I dont just mean not giving me a phone, i mean the fact I was unable to make a claim in the first place due to the ridiculous hold times, lack of information and lack of communication.

I am really angry about all this and feel very upset that this is the kind of service provided to customers. I would say my service from o2 up until now has been flawless, what a pity.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
If you only bought it in December, surely you should be claiming under the guarantee?
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
This would involve them sending it away for a couple of weeks to then come back and tell me i either can or cannot get a new phone.

Its not good that they cant see it in store and then just see there and then the situation.

I wont bother with insurance again - its pointless unless you dont really need a mobile phone and can afford to go for weeks without
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
First of all I am a loyal o2 customer who has probably spent thousands in the past few years with this company so to be given service like this I am really not amused. I purchased a Sony Ericsson W595 in december from o2 shop and was sold mobile phone insurance, which I thought would be a good idea seen as I had only a month ago bought a W595 which was unrepairable and I had to fork out for another mobile so soon after.
Two weeks ago, the phone started freezing up, and id have to switch it on and off, taking the battery out to get it booted up again. It then failed to switch on, so I took it into the o2 store and they told me to contact the insurance company on the documents they sent me. Last week I rang up o2 again, told them the issue then waited on hold to the most annoying hold music (same track over and over and over) for 45 minutes to be told by the operator to call back first thing next day as it was just 'too busy' with the new iphone being out. (so why should other customers be penalised because a new phone is out!)
I rang back late last week (bear in mind the frustration of being non contactable all this time)and endured another near 50 minute wait to the hold music. (Im at work too bear in mind). Eventually the guy from o2 got hold of the insurers and he had a spiel of questions to ask me. I answered them ie when did the phone break etc and he seemed happy enough. I was then instructed to fax my policy sheet through to the insurers along with my name, number and a good time to call. I done this, but shock horror heard nothing.
Today I rang back again, and had about a 20 minute wait to be told 'take it into your o2 shop' I just couldnt believe my ears. I already done that with my last phone and they sent it away for 2 weeks, only for me to be told 'we cant fix it'. So just not prepared to do that again, I use my phone for everything and cant really function without it as people from work need to get hold of me for shifts, or to tell me where im based that particular day etc etc i have been SO frustrated.
This is a genuine case of my phone buggering up and no longer working - what do I pay insurance for?! I would have rather they said when I first went into the store 'sorry this is going to take weeks on end to make a claim, and even then its not guaranteed - just buy a new phone'. I work full time - its not practical to sit on hold for hours on end, or trail in and out of town, park , pay for your parking, go in to o2 shops etc, especially when I work 8-6 most days.
I have been with o2 for years and have always promoted them to other people, and declined tempting contracts from elsewhere due to my loyalty values. The way I feel I have been treated has left me without a functioning mobile phone and caused me a lot of problems workwise and personally. I have also lost all my 300 odd numbers, pictures and videos, its not even like im just after a new phone as id stick with that one for another couple of years if needbe, saves the hardship of transferring numbers etc. But the main thing is I need a phone that works, which is why I agreed to this insurance.
I refuse to be mucked about any longer, or make any more calls to get nowhere. I tried to write to o2 online but their form asked me when I last topped up, I have no idea so therefore I was unable to contact them - fantastic barrier there!!
I will probably buy a new phone tonight or tomorrow as I need it to lead my life as I do, which means I have been paying insurance for nothing as it has been abobut as much help god knows what.
I trust that seen as the phone I have got the insurance out on is no longer working that I wont have to pay the insurance for it?! I should really expect a refund seen as o2 have sold me a service they couldnt deliver. I dont just mean not giving me a phone, i mean the fact I was unable to make a claim in the first place due to the ridiculous hold times, lack of information and lack of communication.
I am really angry about all this and feel very upset that this is the kind of service provided to customers. I would say my service from o2 up until now has been flawless, what a pity.

Sometimes honesty is not always the best policy! I would never advocate dropping it off a large bridge, but presumably they would replace it "pronto" if you had?
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Take a look at the sales of goods act !

Mobile insurance is a complete joke in my opinion.

I use my home insurance policy.

This way I get a new fone if mine faults with none of the reconditioned handsets the mobile fone insurance companies give out.

See if you can cancel the insurance and if not then your gonna just have to follow their rules to the letter.

Keep a running log of all the calls, names and numbers for your complaint after this has been resolved.

Take the handset into the o2 shop and get it sent back and ask if a loan fone is available in the mean time.

If not buy yourself a temp cheap handset so you can continue to use the setvices you are paying monthly for.
Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
come on larry tell us your story of the joke sorry i mean o2 insurance , we would love to hear it
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

so either the new phone was still under warrenty or the new for old insurance kicks in , like the major iphone insurance thread thats on here now, its still the same insurance you will get new for old aslong as you took it out when you said dec last year and you didnt get any info from o2 sayin that the t&c has been changed

your now in the same postion which we are in (iphone o2 insurance) thread

your best off putting in a formal complainte in

i will give the full posting a good read tomorrow and give my honest ans
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have given up and bought a new handset, costing £120. It really should not have been the case as it just totally counter acts the purpose of me having paid insurance. Im really really angry and dissapointed.
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have given up and bought a new handset, costing £120. It really should not have been the case as it just totally counter acts the purpose of me having paid insurance. Im really really angry and dissapointed.

Surely your issue was that you were confused about the difference between a warranty repair and an insurance claim. They are not linked. You could have had it repaired or you could have made an insurance claim.
As people advised above, you needed to decide what you wanted to do, and then do it.
Message 9 of 9