cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMEI barred when phone lost. Now its been found O2 cannot reinstate my network on my phones handset

FLW
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I hope someone can help. I called O2 on 08/01/22 as I had lost my phone and requested that the phone and IMEI be blocked to prevent fraudulent activity incase it was stolen. (I actually had to contact O2 3 times before the block was successfully placed on the handset) . The phone was then found and just after lunch on 08/01/22 I called O2 to request the blocks were lifted on both the IMEI for the handset and sim. I was advised this could take up to 24 hours to reactivate. On 09/01/22 I called O2 again as was still unable to make or receive calls. I was told the IMEI lift had not been requested. They apologised and again told me to wait 24 hours. A further 24 hours passed and yesterday I contacted O2 again....once again I was told that the IMEI had not been lifted from the back end. They apologised and advised they would give me a £10 good will gesture into my account for the inconvenience and send me a text once this was activated (I still can't receive texts so needless to say I haven't received anything!) They again stated that my phone would be in full working order within 24hrs. Fast forward 24 hours again and you guessed it.... My phone still does not work. They have today advised they can send a new sim (NB they have already sent a new sim following my initial request on 8th January and this arrived today but as I have explained to them several times now, my original sim is working perfectly fine as I have tried it in another handset and the sim block is definitely lifted as on other handsets the O2 network functions perfectly, it is the block on the IMEI phone handset device itself that is the problem and I cannot use my phone for the network provision I am paying for. I can connect to WhatsApp etc and all WiFi apps when in the house but I cannot make or receive calls through O2 network and cannot use my phone at all when I am away from home. When I have checked websites they all state whichever carrier placed the barrier on the device, only that same carrier can remove it so I am stuck with a phone that I cannot use away from home. Its been 4 days now and I am feeling my only option is to buy a new handset as none of the CS agents appear to be able to fix this issue for me. Has anyone experienced a similar issue or can anyone offer any advice on how I can get the IMEI barrier lifted as O2 are stating there are no restrictions showing on my account yet I am here with a phone that no longer works. 

Message 1 of 129
128 REPLIES 128

O2Lisa
  • 996 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 32 Solutions

Morning @Raaz of course I can, I'll message you privately and look in to this for you. 

My working hours are Monday - Thursday 08:00 - 18:00
Any messages sent outside these time will be responded to on my return.
Thanks slight_smile

signature
Girl in a jacket
Message 31 of 129

Elis
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @O2Lisa 

I’m experiencing a similar issue to @FLW and really hoping you can help. 

My iPhone 11 Pro Max got taken yesterday and I popped into my local branch to request a blacklist. The assistant who saw me made a phone call and ensured me a bar was placed on the phone.

I recovered the phone today after the person who took it realised it was rendered useless and locked via Find my, so was willing to accept a reward. 

I went back to the same o2 branch to request that the bar be lifted, but this time I was seen by someone else. All they did to help was dial the regular customer service number and had me wait on the line in a queue for an agent to pick up. When I finally got through, the agent told me there were no active bars on my account. I thought it was strange no bar was placed, but didn’t make much of it as I was happy I had gotten my phone back!

I then went home and tried 2 different SIM cards (both of which were working fine on my other iPhones), but to my surprise, the phone was not connecting to the network. I reset the network settings, tried manual roam, airplane mode on/off, reboot - pretty much everything I could. Didn’t work.

Called o2 customer service again, and again I was told there was no active bar on my account and that I should try again later. Did so, and got the same result.

Phoned customer service for a third time, was told the issue is with my device and that I should have it sent to a professional and pay a fee. I was obviously not happy since the phone was working fine yesterday and still does - connects to wifi, apps work fine etc. - it just doesn’t get any service. The agent put me on hold on look further into it and then cut me off. 

I have checked my phone’s IMEI on several websites and it does appear as blacklisted. I also checked other clean handsets on the same websites and those come back clean. 

I should also mention that when I initially requested the bar, the store assistant did it very quickly with someone on the phone and there was no queue. She clearly rang someone at o2 as staff, and didn’t get me to call the regular line like the other assistant did today. 

I am almost positive the phone was not tampered with. I recovered it in locked mode as per the Find my app activation lock, and there were zero signs of damage.

I am pretty sure a bar was indeed placed on my handset. Please, can you help out? 

Many thanks,

Elis

Message 32 of 129

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3006 Solutions

@Elis 

@O2Lisa is not back on shift on Monday. 

You might have been too quick at trying to take the bar off, as it can take 24 hours to be applied across all networks then 24 hours to remove it as well, hence the agent was right if they cant see any bars.. 

Did you unlock the phone via icloud as well? 

I will tag @O2Sarah-  who is on shift tomorrow who may be to help

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 33 of 129

Elis
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@madasaf1sh 🙏 thank you

Yes, the phone has been unlocked via icloud. The last time I called customer service, it had been just over 24hours since the bar had been applied, yet they could still not see anything on their systems.

I really don’t know what is going on whether it’s me being too early, or them not knowing where to look or something else 😔

Message 34 of 129

O2Sarah-
  • 689 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

Good morning 😊

Thanks for the tag @madasaf1sh 

Sorry to hear you are having issues @Elis . I will Private message you to look into this.

Message 35 of 129

sophloaf
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @O2Sarah- @O2Lisa 

I really hope someone might be able to help, as I've got a similar issue to this post and I'm really at my wit's end and not sure what to do now!

My phone was stolen on 11th June so I had the phone and sim barred - For some reason when I made the original request it wasn't barred (I was told this when I called the next day) but then it was barred properly. I went into O2 to get a replacement sim and was told it could take 24 hours and I put it in a new handset. After a day, no service at all (calls, texts, data) - I called up again and they said they could see another bar on my service in the background and they would remove it, which would take another 24 hours. After another day, still no service. When I called again, they said it was the sim card so I went into an O2 shop and got a new replacement sim. After 24 hours this still didn't work. I called O2 again and they said it was a technical glitch so they'd need to add and remove the bars again. This still didn't work. In this time I'd been told twice I would get a call by an advisor to update me but heard nothing, so I've been calling every day at least once since 12th June to try and figure out what's going on.

Last Friday 17th June I was told it would be escalated to a technical team to look at and I'd hear back within 3 working days, but I've just called up again (As I've heard nothing and the sim still doesn't work) and I've been told it was never escalated to a different team, but they're doing so now. I'm losing hope at getting my phone number back at this point as I've had so much conflicting information about what's happening and as far as I'm aware the advisors keep requesting the same bar to be lifted which clearly isn't working, and I'm not confident it's been escalated to another team to look at. It's been 10 days and I have no service at all on my number. Would hugely appreciate your help! 

Message 36 of 129

Elis
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @madasaf1sh 

Do you happen to know who else is on shift tomorrow who can help? @O2Sarah- said she requested the bar to be removed 2 days ago and my phone still doesn’t get service. I have messaged her earlier  but I don’t know if she is in tomorrow, and I have been messed about on the app chat by 5 different advisors and I don’t know what else to do. 

Message 37 of 129

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@O2Ryan                                  08:00 - 14:00

@O2megjess                             09:00 - 15:00

@O2nath_ci                              13:00 - 19:00

@O2Simon                               15:00 - 21:00

Message 38 of 129

O2Sarah-
  • 689 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

Hi @sophloaf

I'll private message you so we can look into this 😁

Message 39 of 129

Pete15
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @O2Lisa, 

I have a similar problem to the below. O2 customer services are telling that all bars have been lifted but my phone still won't connect to the network after more than 24 hours of waiting. Can you help?

Thanks,

Message 40 of 129