Did you mean: 

I got scammed!

Number23
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Folks

I'm new to O2 having just been switched over from Virgin Mobile.

I was contacted whilst at work by somone claiming to be from O2 saying they could offer me a discount on my bill and a new handset and airtime deal...

40% discount on my bill and a new Samsung S23 and airtime deal for £18pm

I can't believe I fell for it but I did

However, I checked my O2 account and saw that a iPhone 14 had been ordered and just knew something was not right.

I immediately changed my account password and security question / answer.

I contacted O2 directly via 202 and spoke with a great customer service advisor. I told him I was the victim of a scammer and he helped me report it as fraud and gave me advice on what to do and what would happen next.

I had explained to him that the scammer had offered a Samsung S23 but the order showed an iPhone 14. He explained that this is what the scammers do, they offer an item but order a different one so that they can pretend there has been a mistake with the order and ask you to send it back to them and they'll sen you the correct item.

They don't, they keep what you sent and you get billed for it!

So, he advised me that when the item is delivered that the scammers will call to say that they have seen that the item has been delivered and apologise for the mistake and that they'll send you the correct item and offer you a compensation credit etc.

They'll say that they will send you a pre-paid mail bag for the item so that you can return it.

The mail bag will send it straight to the scammer, not to O2.

The O2 advisor told me that the O2 fraud team would contact me for the details of what happened and advise on how to return the handset to O2.

The advisor managed to put a block on the handset so it cannot be used.

I was glad that I quickly locked down my account. However, when I'd finished speaking with the advisor I went back into my account and then I noticed that as well as ordering the iPhone the scammer had also messed with my Tariff!

I was on an excellent tariff from my change over from Virgin to O2 but the scammer messed with that changing it to a more expensive one with a lot less service...

I contacted O2 again, this time via web chat, and explained to the advisor what had happened. Thankfully they had the details from their colleague so knew what I was talking about.

He advised that once the fraud team had completed their investigation and the handset had been returned to O2, they'll sort out my account back to what it was.

So folks, remember, O2 do not cold call you with offers!

It's the old adage, if it seems too good to be true, it usually is!

I've learned from this and hope that by passing on this that other folks might be able to recognise the scam and avoid being stung.

Just waiting to hear from O2 fraud team to get things resolved now.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7034 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1573 Solutions

This type of fraud is all too common.

Maybe worth advising your bank as to what happened so they can put a watch on your account

Guide: A Guide to Deal with Spam/Scam Calls and Text 

Phishing, Smishing & Scams. Latest info & advice. 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 21

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124012 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7503 Solutions

This is the 2nd one posted this morning. The scammers are obviously on a roll!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 21

Chilli74
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

They got me on Friday - almost identical to the above - newly joined from Virgin, realised and reported it immediately, got told the fraud had been stopped but then received the tariff email and note from DPD to say they are delivering today.  Got a  call today claiming to be from O2 and to make sure I was home when DPD are delivering (they knew the time slot) I explained I was aware it was fraud and they advised me to accept the delivery and they’d be in touch to explain how to return it - before I could ask any questions the call ended which confirmed to me it was still part of the scam.  I feel foolish for falling for it but the fact they had so many of my details already and were sending me apparently legit texts and emails from O2 caught me off guard.  Hoping the fraud dept sorts this out as I’m feeling quite frustrated about the whole experience.

Message 4 of 21

Number23
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Chilli74,

Very similar situation to myself.

I changed my account password and security question / answer to help prevent any further scam damage.

I'm just waiting to hear from O2 fraud investigation team so as to return the handset and get my account and tariff back to what it should be.

Remember, do not return the handset until the fraud team have completed their investigation and do not return it to any other address than the official O2 returns address;

O2 Returns Centre

Communications House

Vulcan Road North

Norwich

NR66 6AQ

The team will give you the details of what to do and how to do it.

Hope that helps.

Message 5 of 21

Backtacker
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes same here, the scammer called me and introduced himself as David, long story short I twigged halfway through, hung up, called O2 told them, changed security word and password.

The guy called David rang again today with the identical introduction I let him go on a bit then told him to ***** off.

Message 6 of 21

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10480 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3081 Solutions

@Backtacker 

That is the best way to deal with these parasites, also threating them with the ICO also works.. slight_smile

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 7 of 21

Robbob123
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This sounds like it could be a Data breach issue…how else would the scummers know you’d just been migrated across? 
when you next talk to O2 ask to speak to their designated data protection officer and ask for them to investigate and if they don’t/won’t tell them you’ll speak to the ICO

Message 8 of 21

Spenny
Level 16: Talkative
  • 341 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

Thanks to all of you @Number23 @Backtacker @Chilli74 for being so open about being scammed to help everyone else.  Never good but the scammers are trying to get more sophisticated and sometimes can just call at that precise moment which gets you.

Phone: Motorola G100, 128GB, Android 12, SIMO 20Gb
Broadband: Virgin 350Mb, Tp-Link Router - Deco S4
-----------------------------------------------------------------
We are a community of customers and cannot access your account.
To contact O2 click here for O2 Social Media Links
Message 9 of 21

Chilli74
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @Number23 - I refused to accept delivery of the handset from DPD so didn’t receive it.  Since being told on the day of scam it was sorted by O2 I’ve not heard back from the fraud team at all.  One of the advisors on chat advised me to cancel my direct debit to avoid being incorrectly charged which I’ve done but it means I’m likely to miss paying for the services I should be receiving.  Also changed my O2 password and my email password too.  I’m still getting messages from O2 ten days later asking me to rate the new service, delivery and package.  Tried contacting them most days only to be told not to worry and it will all be resolved but still nothing direct from the fraud team.  Really poor customer experience and I find it incredulous that they have not put in measures to deter this situation given it seems to be have been happening for several years.  Have you heard back from them on your situation yet?  Thanks

Message 10 of 21