Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei security

JerryBilt
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

In response to the latest article about Huawei on most news websites, do I approach O2 and complain they sold me an insecure device (P10)?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46453425

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @JerryBilt

Personally I don't think it's O2 you need to complain to. These devices are available worldwide and other networks supplied them in good faith. They certainly wouldn't have been aware of BT's plans

If you are within the 14 day cooling off period then swap it out or return it if you wish

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/our-change-of-mind-policy

@EmilieTcould you tag @Chris_K so he can comment on this?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 18

JerryBilt
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

A couple of things:
1. Huawei have been suspected for a while now. But the information was not in the public domain. The industry (That's O2 and others) were all aware of the possibility that they were insecure. Yet, they still sold their products. Due diligence?
2. The BT story is simply the natural progression to the rumpours now that security of the network is a discussion topic and in the public domain because of 5G. So, my point about the industry always knowing about Huawei insecurity is now common knowledge.
3. Your "personally" comment is not what I want to hear. I want to hear an official statement from your employers.
4. I'm within 9 months of the end of a two year contract. I don't want to be penalised by paying the early settlement fee if the mobile I am purchasing is the slightest bit suspect and needs to be changed early.

Message 3 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@JerryBilt 

This isn't O2 and no one is employed on here. 

We are all customers like yourself.

I'd suggest you contact O2 directly http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 18

JerryBilt
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
OK, thanks. I hadn't appreciated that, considering the very close links to the O2 domain and all your O2 awards.
Message 5 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@JerryBilt wrote:

A couple of things:
1. Huawei have been suspected for a while now. But the information was not in the public domain. The industry (That's O2 and others) were all aware of the possibility that they were insecure. Yet, they still sold their products. Due diligence?
2. The BT story is simply the natural progression to the rumpours now that security of the network is a discussion topic and in the public domain because of 5G. So, my point about the industry always knowing about Huawei insecurity is now common knowledge.
3. Your "personally" comment is not what I want to hear. I want to hear an official statement from your employers.
4. I'm within 9 months of the end of a two year contract. I don't want to be penalised by paying the early settlement fee if the mobile I am purchasing is the slightest bit suspect and needs to be changed early.

With reference to the comment I've highlighted in red. that won't be possible on here or from me. This is a community forum made up of O2 members just like yourself. I'm not employed by O2 or anyone else for that matter

If you wish to make this official then google the name and address of the CEO for O2 and direct your comments to him..

This isn't the place if you want answers.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 18

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Isn't this whole Huawei thing like common knowledge?
They were banned by FCC for US sale for years, are still in investigation with MI6 (no, not MI5s brother, the real one) for security concerns, and is pretty much accepted that they have more backdoors than (insert innuendo here)
This isn't a new thing, this is just yet another step in a very long ongoing issue.
Message 7 of 18

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Confused.com
The article linked refers to commercial equipment (mast/antenna/etc).
The OP refers to a handset.
Aren't the two unrelated (apart from the mobile connection part)?
Also, unless the handset is actually faulty (or develops a fault) the only issue could be with data contained - most of which goes to/from google?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 8 of 18

JerryBilt
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Aren't you coming at it from the point of view of an interested party. In that you contribute to the forums regularly. Plus you have a very prestigious gold badge ;-).
For the rest of us who don't have such a deep understanding or feel the need to be on top of the tech news all the time, this IS news to us!

Message 9 of 18

JerryBilt
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Fair point. The commercial equipment is different.
But, can anyone say with absolute certainty today, that mobiles manufactured and sold by Huawei are not subject to the same suspicions?

Message 10 of 18