cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much sway do operators have over hardware design?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am aware that in terms of the phone and smartwatch manufacturers operators are by far their biggest accounts because of course you cannot access an operator's services without the hardware.

It does seem though that every phone is going for bigger and bigger screens and those of us that just want to stick with 5.2 inch are getting less and less choice.

So, are operators pushing for bigger screens or is this just something the manufacturers are doing because, let's face it, there's only so much innovation possible when a form factor is dictated by the screen.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

HI @Anonymous 

Read your post and this is the reason I wanted a larger screen.

I seem to be using my phone more and more like a computer

researching anwering emails etc.  I can sit down in the evening

and instead of sitting in front of my computer I use the phone.

The larger screen makes it easier ~ I like the larger screen ~

It is larger to carry around of course but this doesn't bother me.

I bought the Samsung Galaxy A70

I have a computer with

a 17" screen find that more useful too.

My thought is that "possibly" research has found a larger

screen when available is being bought?Thinking

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 2 of 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I guess it's more market force and that networks have no influence. I would think that more and more people want larger screens now. Especially the older generation such as myself and the younger users who like to show off.

Message 3 of 6

JAZZ-trad
Level 13: Prompter
  • 890 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I think it's market forces too @Anonymous. The folding phone is an indicator that a larger screen is wanted and folding keeps the size down.
Message 4 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I'm sure the marketing staff do their research.

I'm at the stage now where I use a large screen for comfort. It suits my declining eyesight and larger keyboards help arthritic fingers avoid spelling mistakes.

At the other end of the age spectrum, my grandson age 20, also prefers phones with larger screens. There is nothing wrong with his eyesight and he can knock out a message in seconds.

His Uni friends all appear to prefer phones with large screens. Better for streaming and watching videos.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 6

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
As people use their phones for more it follows that screens get bigger and with better resolutions - you can now get a 4k phone screen while a few years ago 720p was the standard.
This is so that the images are clearer, you can get more on the screen and the keyboard is larger as well.
But screens will only get bigger if people are creating the demand - how many iPhones did Apple get through before they increased the screen and now they do the + models!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 6