cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Much/Many of your Mobile Functions do you Use?

Bill1945
Level 3: Thinker
  • 32 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Good Afternoon,

As I sat here today and admired the picturesque and photogenic winter scene outside my house (and took pictures with my mobile) I asked myself the following question:- how many of the functions of this magnificent device do you use? 

Including the default apps. I reckon that I use my phone extensively but the comms side much less than the calendar, calculator, camera and music. Toting that lot up I would say I use 75% of the phone functions.

I would really like other thoughts on the Subject.

Bill1945

Give the People a Voice
Message 1 of 71
70 REPLIES 70

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

On the other hand @pgnif my GP phones me directly from his office then that number will be displayed. If he asks the receptionist to call, it will be withheld.

The District nurses are managed through a central hub based in Leamington (though the nurses are actually based in Nuneaton and Coventry) = Number withheld.

It depends how much NHS/Social services money each area is allocated

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 61 of 71

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35802 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

1. On the other hand pgnif my GP phones me directly from his office then that number will be displayed. If he asks the receptionist to call, it will be withheld.

2. The District nurses are managed through a central hub based in Leamington (though the nurses are actually based in Nuneaton and Coventry) = Number withheld.

3. It depends how much NHS/Social services money each area is allocated

Hi @Cleoriff

Your point 1 is the one that's the wrong way around, if you look at it - the GP and the secretary should both send the same DDI (direct-dial identification) number, that of the secretary.

Again, number 2 should transmit the number shared beteen Nuneaton and Coventry, or one for each, but a switchboard number,

Your point 3 is key - central services should be taking responsibility for telecoms across the NHS/Social service, dealing with the telco for the NHS as an organisation, rather than letting each area do that itself.

But hey - I am sure the NHS bean-counters have their own priorities, and sensible telecomms policy is probably low down that list, compared with ensuring a stable and properly-priced stream of medicines and supplies.Rolleys

Message 62 of 71

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@pgn  No I don't see it like that at all for the GP. He has his private/own number in his office. When he comes on duty he switches his number on to active. If he wants to ring out directly he would press a certain number on the phone to give him an 'outside line'

The receptionists have one number only (for us to dial if we want the GP), that's the only number we are given to call.

Now that ONE receptionist/GP surgery number may have other off shoot numbers in the main office, which are diverted if one is busy, ie a central switchboard set up. So a call from GP office comes up with the number. A call from the main office comes up as withheld.

I don't profess to know much about the set up. I can only tell you what happens from my own particular surgery.

Some GP surgeries have in excess of 10 GP's in the practice. All have individual phones in their offices.

In the NHS on the wards, if I wanted to directly dial relatives, I would press 9 for an outside line and could then ring them myself. They would see it was my ward calling. If I went through switchboard for them to call...the relatives would get a withheld number.

And now you have given me brain pain so I am off to bed....joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 63 of 71

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35802 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

And now you have given me brain pain so I am off to bed....joy

No pain intended - good-night! Handshake

Message 64 of 71

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

All I can say is, today has been a quiet day on here so lots of old topics have been raised from the vaults.... including Christmas and New year threads cowboy... 

A lot of meandering off topic, though good discussions in all of them...thumbsup

Good night wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 65 of 71

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
A belated good night @Cleoriff.

Very enjoyable discussions yesterday. More good stuff to come today, I hope.

Good night all. Morning @jonsie if you're about.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 66 of 71

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:
A belated good night @Cleoriff.

Very enjoyable discussions yesterday. More good stuff to come today, I hope.

Good night all. Morning @jonsie if you're about.

I'm here lurking and playing catchup @Glory1 smile

Watching Homeland at the moment with a Sang Som & Coke very kindly sent to me by a mutual friend pray

Message 67 of 71

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Morning @jonsie. What a kind friend you have. Enjoy your Sang Som and Coke, and Homeland. Must admit haven't watched Homeland in quite awhile.

Me I'm also playing catch up with my recordings. Currently watching Rough Justice, a Belgian police series. Excellent.

Message 68 of 71

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I've finished homeland, now onto Flight HS13. I love these series in other languages as I need subtitles anyway and I also record Rough Justice but that's for another night Dance

Message 69 of 71

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Finished Rough Justice and now starting Salamander: Blood Diamond. Another Belgian series but on BBC4. Again a police series (series 2) but with political overtones.

I also love the foreign shows. At the moment it's all Belgian, for some reason.

Anyway, onwards and upwards @jonsie

Message 70 of 71