Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help put a stop to 'Payforit' scams

Payforit_Sucks
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Recent months have seen many O2 customers become the victims of scam subscription services (like Nuyoo and various services from Lasevia Ltd),charged via 'Payforit'.

The regulator, the Phone-paid Services Authority, is currently consulting on the regulation of these services, which is clearly inadequate at the present time.

All consumers affected by these scams, and any others who feel strongly that O2 should not be passing their phone numbers to scammers for charging purposes, have an opportunity to have a say in the future regulation of these 'services'.

Information about the consultation, together with my own draft response, are on the website linked in my signature. Please feel free to copy and submit my own response, to amend or it as you wish, or to write your own response. The important thing is that PSA get a feel for the level of consumer dissatisfaction with the current 'Payforit' services.

We have an opportunity to put a stop to these scams, but only if we speak up and insist on change.

Paul

Phone payment scam? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for O2 Customers

Help put a stop to these scams. Join our Facebook Group
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

This information will certainly help and be of benefit to anyone falling victim to these scams.

Message 2 of 12

LukeR
Level 3: Thinker
  • 41 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

there is one way to stop all payforit scams.

SHUT DOWN THE PAYFORIT SYSTEM.

the payforit system is really unsecure and is widely abused by scammers.

it is no longer used for the purpose it was made for.

it is no longer needed because all websites now accept credit cards to buy things online.

until it is shut down there are a few ways to protect yourself.

1.use wifi when using a web browser, this will stop websites from reading your phone number.

2. use an adblocker, some ads contain malicious scripts that subscibe you to these scams.

Message 3 of 12

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Whilst I agree with everything in the OP, there is something else to consider.

Some people willingly sign up for these services. Strange but true. They want to gamble or play certain games, etc etc etc.

So, as we have said many many times before, there should be a two step verification process, not just clicking on a link or a pop up advert.

Other networks are able to do this. O2 should follow this example.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 12

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
I sometimes purchase playstation Wallet top ups using the mobile payment option on playstation store, this is through payforit.
The thing that I dont get is, payforit always send a text asking me to confirm the purchase and reply Y or N to confirm the charge.
Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve been stung once before, my phone was sat idle when I was doing the garden! If they got rid of the system today I’d be happy, But a change is as good as a rest so an overhaul would be good too!

Message 6 of 12

Payforit_Sucks
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Some very useful opinions here. I think the chances of 'Payforit' being abandoned are rather slim, although a similar system has been abandoned in Australia. I accept that some people find 'Payforit' useful, but even the PSA accept that the current level of complaints is unsustainable.

Whatever your opinion (even if you think 'Payforit' is wonderful), please respond to the consultation. PSA only seek views from the 'industry'. They need to hear the voice of consumers. The closing date for the consultation is 15th October.

Paul

Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve looked for this link @Payforit_Sucks but I can’t see it for trying, any chance you could post it here please!

Message 8 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

It's the blue link in the last line of @Payforit_Sucks signature. It takes you to a large pdf file.

Called Respond to the Phone-paid Services Authority Consultation wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 12

Payforit_Sucks
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I’ve looked for this link @Payforit_Sucks but I can’t see it for trying, any chance you could post it here please!

@Anonymous

The link is in the last line of my signature. Unfortunately O2 won't let me put this link into the body of my post. You can also go to the Phone-paid Services Authority website and find information on the consultation there.

Message 10 of 12