cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gingerbread

Anonymous
Not applicable
So Gingerbread is out of the box today grin when Dell Streak users are still waiting for O2 to update our handsets to Froyo Smiley Mad
O2 will be forever playing catchup. I've stuck with O2 since the early Cellnet days but this has to be the worst service ever :robotsad:
Anticipating and preparing for market and product developments appears to be something beyond their competence. Surely it cannot be too difficult to personalise and test an OS for locked handsets :robotindifferent: if the technicians are up to scratch of cpurse :womanindifferent:
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3322 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions
Its not a requirement of any network provider to give o/s updates nor is it of the manufacturer. As the Samsung Galaxy owners will testify. All of which costs money to employ people to do the update checks, verification and validation. Basically if you have an unbranded phone, you either have to be patient or just live without.
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Gingerbread SDK is out and the software for the Nexus 1 will follow in a few weeks. The Nexus S will be released with 2.3 on board.
This is not a big release and most of the tweeking is under the bonnet with some slight cosmetics and the ability to work better on tablets.
The only way to have the latest software is to buy a Nexus. The next best way is to buy non-network branded. Don't forget it's two layers of software to be added to most phones.
There now seems a movement towards everybody expecting the latest firmware / software. Last year I bought a cheap netbook loaded with Windows XP - I am not expecting Samsung to give me a free upgrade to Windows 7. I knew what I was getting when I bought it and was happy - why should the same not apply to phones?
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
The sales bumph at the time of purchase said Dell Streak would be updated to Froyo asap which is one of the things that tipped me in it's favour 😐
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Problem is ASAP refers to an undefined period of time. The sort of phrase lawyers could argue about for years. As long as it gets FroYo then they will have been deemed to have kept their promise.
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
DaveC - I think some people will expect updates and that it's quite reasonable to do so. Your analogy to a Netbook OS isn't really valid.
For example, with Android we're talking about an incremental update here. It is a different build, but it's within the same version number. So no, you can't "expect" Android version 1 to go to 2, but you "should" expect version 2.1 to 2.2 etc.
These updates address software issues and bugs. They're like Windows updates if you want to make the comparison. Microsoft don't charge for those, and you get them automatically. If 2.1 has a bug which makes a certain advertised phone feature not work properly, then why should a consumer not expect a free update to a version of the software without that bug?
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
But 2.2 was not primarily issued as a bug fix but an incremental update to the OS in things like JIT processing and memory usage.
2.3 (Gingerbread) is designed to give better results on the larger tablet screens and may not have that many benefits to phone users.
The latest news is that IceCream may well be 2.4 and not 3.0, so you may get an extra upgrade in the 2 series.
I did get a bug fix on my Nexus 2.2 which now reads 2.2.1
Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Look I Have Got A Nexus S And I Was Reading That An Update Has Come Out Two Versions Later Than The One I Have I'm Running Android 2.3.1 And Android 2.3.3 Is Out And I'm Wondering When Is Android 2.3.3 Coming To O2
Message 8 of 8