Did you mean: 

Follow up to older lady (deaf) seeks mobile phone that she can hear calls on

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hello folks

Thanks for all the feedback and encouragements, also for the forum reward. Luvly

Well folks, I decided an Amplicomms (extra loud ) clamshell M7000 (except i received M7051). Ive forgotten the exact cost  50.00 - 60.00 , I believe,

And Ive bought a separate , ex demo, tablet which fits into my handbag . I chose this combination instead of a smartphone  version which I couldn't handle.

+The phone is a good choice for me . nice shape, very loud ringer, and amplified (30db) incoming sound. Brill.

+I went to a company that allows 30 day trials and away I went.

+The online manual is long but comprehensive, the Amplicomms help service, both email and tele no: were prompt and accurate, friendly too.

+The services / settings are easy to follow with a little help from the manual

-The slight downside, no intuitive spelling & pressing the texting  buttons is a slight chore, but the phone is worth any mild aggro.

!!!   -The other downside is folk are so used to texting me cos I couldnt hear before that texts are ruling the day.!!!Smiley Embarassed

+ I will have to get tough with myself and tell people to phone sometimes. !!  Its part of a deaf persons make up to be too afraid to phone - the fear of not hearing and looking   'foolish'.

So 02 what do you need to know -

• there are 2 - 4 highly amplified phones on the market - 30db      and 70-80db ring
  • 02 needs to stock some (having tested them out )
  • a trial of 14 - 30 days is needed by the customer in their own home
  • staff need to be trained to recognise who these phones are for  and marry these people up with these phones
  • have some deaf awareness training about the side effects of deafness, not speaking up for themselves, fear of ridicule, of being regarded as old (bad old) when deafness is the only problem, not brain power
  • some towns have a higher proprotion of deaf folk than other towns - supply these appropriately

On the whole 02 has good customer relations but some deaf awareness and knowledge of what will suit who would greatly enhance your stores.

Thanks everyone

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Good to hear you got sorted @Jenny105

@Martin-O2 I think Toby was feeding this info back to O2, can you make sure it is continued now please. It would be good for O2 to lead the way with this. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Thanks for taking the time to post this @Jenny105 This is really useful feedback! I'll pass it on to the rest of the team. wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 3 of 8

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey @Jenny105 just read this, awesome review and very useful! Thanks so much for posting. I'm curious, what kind of texting buttons does it have? 

I so miss the blackberry keyboard that had actual buttons to press. I could text without even looking at the phone because I knew where each button was and felt them. Now on all the phones the buttons are touch screen and I always mistype with them. tongue

Message 4 of 8

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Hi Marjo thanks for replying. I'm getting more confident about writing &hope more deaf people will speak up. - which is hard to do.
My old Doro had quertzy keyboard, in a screen format. My new clamshell (bless it) has an actual button with abc def ghij etc on each button. I need to press other buttons for capitals etc. I have a scarred right figure so it requires a bit of pressure for me to use. But its not a big issue Imm getting to know how many taps for each letter. But do slightly miss predictive text. HOWEVER predictive has gotten me in trouble in the past !! if I don't reread the text.
Message 5 of 8

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Predictive text causes me issues at least a few times a week LOL But then again I make mistakes with normal text as well if I don't re-read it, so I guess I'm just rubbish at typing on mobile phones in general. tongue

When you mentioned 'clamshell' it made me miss my old flip phone (and another slider one) from Samsung. slight_smile heart

Message 6 of 8

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Will do M15 . I am putting a note in our hearing resources mag. I'm asking any readers who are 02 users to add comments . Lots of input from deaf phone users would be great.
PS I presume Community people need to be 02 user (??)
Message 7 of 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions