cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Femtocells

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys,

I live in a fairly rural part of the UK and although the area is supposed to have O2 coverage, it is in fact pretty dire here. I am tied onto o2 for another 13 months with my iPhone and unless something is done by o2 to sort the signal out I will be voting with my feet next June.
Last year o2 & vodafone trialled 'Femtocell' technology. This is an internet based plug in tx/rx device which is stand alone and provides internet based mobile phone coverage inside buildings where there is insufficient signal from normal sources. Vodafone have embraced it and people are now getting the full benefit of full 3G phone signal in their homes/offices.
Where is the o2 version?
I know I'm a little bitter having been a Vodafone customer for many years, leaving just before they announced that they were getting iPhone, but surely o2 are embracing this technology as the o2 signal outside major towns everywhere appears to be generally poorer than my previous provider.
Does anyone have any thought on this and does anyone know if there are any plans for Femtocell technology to appear on the o2 books in the near future?
Message 1 of 100
99 REPLIES 99

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was discussing my cell signal with an O2 advisor couple Of weeks ago and he told me o2 were looking to introduce this as an option around springtime "following a successful trial we were really pleased with". After seeing posts on here though I am wondering if he just wanted me off his phone, Chris? Abishek?
Message 11 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was discussing my cell signal with an O2 advisor couple Of weeks ago and he told me o2 were looking to introduce this as an option around springtime "following a successful trial we were really pleased with". After seeing posts on here though I am wondering if he just wanted me off his phone, Chris? Abishek?

In an "unoffical" capacity its not got any go ahead afaik.
Tony slight_smile
Message 12 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thought so, thanks wink
Message 13 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
They have only started trialling the femto a few weeks ago. Mine has only been in for a week. Its the same unit as the Vodaphone sure signal obviously with different firmware.
Message 14 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
They have only started trialling the femto a few weeks ago. Mine has only been in for a week. Its the same unit as the Vodaphone sure signal obviously with different firmware.

are you trialing it then ?
Message 15 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes I have one here. It's a very limited trial at the moment but I'm sure they will roll them out. I have full phone signal in my house now although the phone doesn't always connect to it on it's own (probably a software bug or phone issue).
Message 16 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
Who turned this thread into a poll?
Message 17 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes I have one here. It's a very limited trial at the moment but I'm sure they will roll them out. I have full phone signal in my house now although the phone doesn't always connect to it on it's own (probably a software bug or phone issue).

how come you get to trial one ? i have poor o2 reception... i want one!!!!
Message 18 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's a staff only trial at the moment. Someone who lives here works for them.
Message 19 of 100

Anonymous
Not applicable
No one has mentioned a trial for these, afaik there is no trial as they put a halt on the femto trial last year.
Message 20 of 100