cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False returned delivery status emails on o2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Over the last few days I have developed a problem with my main o2 email address. I constantly get supposedly returned emails from email addresses I neither know nor use.

All the emails return via the o2 postmaster and are headed either Mail Delivery Service, Delivery Status or Failed Delivery Status and in the body simply says the email address could not be reached and show the returned routing. I am getting loads.

Seeing I am not sending any of these ( I had about 150 returned yesterday alone) how the hell do I stop them. My spam filter is not filtering them out properly. Not a problem on my PC - but a royal pain when they are also coming to my Iphone and I am deleting swathes at a time.

Anyone else encountering this or have any suggestions ?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

You may have a compromised o2 webmail account.

and the account may be disabled

Several threads about this

You may need to scan computer and change passwords for the o2 account in question and in all mail clients

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Damnn - I did consider that as a possibility but as it's a hassle to change all my passwords on my different machines and phones I hoped there would be another solution

Still - I have changed the password to one that will be MUCH harder to crack so I will see how it goes - thanks mate.

Right off to change 5 PC's and 2 phone email passwords now ......

Message 3 of 11

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

And check for malware/virus on all devices.

As said in other threads o2 have even disabled accounts without warning and then take time to renable them.

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems someone (or some bots ) are targeting O2 email at the moment and using it to send out spam.  Annoying.

Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Changing passwords appears to have sorted it. I was getting the damned returned email notifications all the time - none in the last couple of hours since changing though

I know I have no malware or virus. I have several methods of blocking that happening and run scans and updates regularly.

I reckon someone just guessed lucky or ran a codebreaker to get my original password.

They well have to work harder and for longer to get the current one though grin

Thanks for the input guys

Message 6 of 11

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Glad you got it sorted before o2 disabled your webmail account

Apple Watch series 4

Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, the same thing has happened to me with around 150 delivery status emails a day then suddenly everything went quiet.  it took me a few hours to realise that I was no longer getting any email - my webmail had been disabled.  I have rung o2 lots of times since but keep getting told it is a national problem and they are working on it.  Under normal circumstances I would just keep waiting but my husband is terminally ill and "in the final few days of life"  I cant leave the house and email has been a life line to keep me in touch with friends and family.  I now feel isolated and desperate but o2 really don't seem to care 

Message 8 of 11

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

just pm a site admin and it will be sorted

This is not a webmail issue just a compromised account issue many threads about it

Apple Watch series 4

Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi thanks for that but i dont know how to pm an administrator  can anyone help me with that

Message 10 of 11