Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive data usage

RJ24
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I moved to O2 yesterday from Vodafone. I used to have a 15GB data limit and never used more than 3GB in a month.

Having activated my new O2 SIM around 9pm, and making no changes to the settings on my iPhone, I was surprised to see that I’ve used 2.4GB in 24 hours. I’m on Wi-fi at home and have done nothing differently.

This is seemingly not a one-off, as Google has thrown up a number of others on this forum with the same issue.

What’s going on? I don’t want a response “turn off mobile data” or similar as I shouldn’t need to make any changes. Why am I so data hungry all of a sudden? The only change - literally the only thing - is moving from Vodafone to O2.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@RJ24 

I had the same issue on one of my accounts a few years ago.

O2 were not interested nor did they offer anything to help or investigate.

I actually moved that account to Vodafone and have not had any problems since, so my advice would be to go back within your 14 days, whilst you can.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

RJ24
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks. You’re signature/bio doesn’t mention Vodafone at all?! You’re very active here (you’ve popped up in every post I’ve read) so what’s your link to O2?

Message 3 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

I've no link to O2 other than being a customer.

The account I moved was the one I pay for my daughter.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 5

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I can only fathom that data and your wi-fi are both active at the same time.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 5 of 5