cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error with Mobile Web settings provided by O2.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been in a live chat session with O2 services trying to fix my APN settings. I asked for all settings to be sent to me so I could start fresh.

I would like to bring the following to (someone's) attention. I received these Mobile Web APN settings by email from the O2 representative:

1. Press the Menu key
2. Tap Settings
3. Tap Wireless & networks
4. Tap Mobile networks
5. Tap Access Point Names
6. Press the Menu key
7. Tap New APN
8. Tap Name then tap the text box and enter O2 Mobile Web then tap OK
9. Tap APN then tap the text box and enter mobile.o2.co.uk then tap OK
10. Skip past Proxy and Port as these are preset as Not set
11. Tap Username then tap the text box and enter o2web then tap OK
12. Tap Password then tap the text box and enter password then tap OK
13. Skip past Server, MMSC, MMS proxy, MMS port as these is preset as Not set
14. Tap MMS protocol then tap WAP 2.0
15. Tap MCC then tap the text box and enter 234 then tap OK
16. Tap MNC then tap the text box and enter 10 then tap OK
17. Skip past Authentication type as this is preset Not set
18. Tap APN type and enter the default,hipri then tap OK
19. Tap the Menu key
20. Tap Save
21. Tap your new account so a green dot appears next to it
22. Press the Back key four times to return to the standby screen.

I got stuck at Step 18. The sentence does not make sense. Should it be;

18. Tap APN type and enter the default, hipri then tap OK

or

18. Tap APN type and enter default,hipri then tap OK

I hope someone else will understand what I mean. I tried to explain this to the O2 representative in live chat but (with no offence intended) they were clearly not fluent in English grammar and I don't think they took onboard what I was trying to say. I feel this should be brought to the attention of someone who can rectify this mistake as I'm sure I'm not the only one who would find this confusing.

Note: I have tried using default,hipri, default and hipri separately in the Mobile Web settings.
My findings are that default,hipri and just default both provide mobile web access, but just hipri does not - it also removes the green dot selection from the APN.
When changing between default,hipri and default, the mobile web connection is lost, then starts up again (like turning it on & off). I wonder though, whether it is still connecting to the same connection with both of these, or whether it make a difference.

Thank you for your attention.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Which phone is this for?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146998 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28265 Solutions
You should enter "default,supl"
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 8

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Mine has * for APN type.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 4 of 8

MI5
  • 146998 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28265 Solutions
Like most things, it's probably trial and error to find out what works......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 5 of 8

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

This is true, but if they're wrong for a particular handset we can get them corrected.

Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
That would help wouldn't it... HTC Sensation.
Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 146998 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28265 Solutions
Try "default,supl" for android.
Message 8 of 8