cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of iPhone 2G contract. Now what?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,

My current iPhone contract ends at the end of July.

Does anyone know what happens then? I mean, since I've completed the contract, I guess the iPhone is mine to take wherever I want, right? Can I get a PAC number from O2? Can I ask for the iPhone to be liberated?

Anyone on the same situation?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93922 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7017 Solutions
You can ask for a PAC but as things stand at the moment, O2 will not release the phone from the network. That AFAIK is the official word from O2. If you are not prepared to stay with o2 then you will probably have to go the unofficial route.
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,
My current iPhone contract ends at the end of July.
Does anyone know what happens then? I mean, since I've completed the contract, I guess the iPhone is mine to take wherever I want, right? Can I get a PAC number from O2? Can I ask for the iPhone to be liberated?
Anyone on the same situation?
Thanks!

Unfortunately the iPhone is different in that Apple govern the provider lock not o2. Apple don't allow o2 to unlock the iPhone, even after the contract minimum term is up.

There is no legal path to unlocking as o2 have an exclusivity agreement with o2. So you can't legally use it on another network.

That's not to say there aren't ways to unlock the phone, but I'll let you Google for that, as posts get deleted on here for using the J word slight_smile

SV
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply.

Is that legal? 😞

I mean, if I paid for the phone (and I paid a lot), plus also repaid all the subsidy (since I've been on a pay-monthly for 18 months), what leg do they stand on to retain the phone on their network?

I guess is that pesky small print again, right? grin
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
I guess is that pesky small print again, right? grin

Unlike some other countries (such as France) there's no legal requirement for an airtime provider to "release" a handset after end of contract. However, they generally do it anyway for most handsets.

As I say, Apple call the shots and don't allow unlocking by o2 for UK iPhones.

SV
Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, is the "J" for me then Smiley Mad

So long O2!
Message 6 of 6