cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EDGE and the rest

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well sorry for asking a stupid one, but does it cost to use the EDGE or GPRS connection when wi-fi is not available, casue i can get both where possible and my e-mails download etc WOW but wondering does this cost me when not using my wi-fi at home etc

thanks
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
On any iPhone Tariff these are not chargeable...

Obviously if you are, for whatever reason, using an iPhone with a tariff not intended for it - then you will be billed for this usage.
Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
NO, I am on the O2 tariff, sorry should have mentioned this. So basically everytime my phone checks for e-mail where ever I am (set to every hour) and I can get a connection it will be free.

Also at the same time the symbol sometimes changes to a box with E in it I get it that thats edge, but sometimes theres no E would this be GPRS or something.

Thanks you
Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's right... mine checks every 15 mins *because* it's free slight_smile

If the box has no E in it you have GRPS instead of EDGE, which is also free slight_smile
Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks rossmck, its a good seller, especially when people maon that you have to go on new contract pay a little more etc, but when they ask about the surfing etc and you say its free, their little eyes light up and forget all about the rest grin
Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Would be even better at 3G speeds wink
Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
even the 3g speeds in the uk are crap and there is actualy not much difference between the 2g and 3g speeds in the uk.
Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
There's a huge difference!
If i'm on HSDPA or EDGE my handset flys through the web pages.
When it's on GPRS I don't have feel the slow down Smiley Mad
Message 8 of 14

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions
To try and make it clear and hope it clears it up.

2G (2nd generation network) (GSM)
G = GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) Average speeds of 32 to 48 kbs (kilobits per second)
E = Edge (This is a upgrade of GPRS or a enhancement) Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution. This speed can be upto 384kbs

3G (3rd generation network)(UMTS)was first arround 384 kbs as well,
However 3g was then upgraded to HSDPA (High-Speed Downlink Packet Access)
and currenlty this can be as high as 7.2mbs (depending on network, location, ussage, where you are, times and so on
Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
anyone know a good site to find out what speed you are getting on downloads? tried speedtest.net but doesnt work on my sony ericson X1
Message 10 of 14