Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data security

Ian128
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

How likely is it that some kind of security breach has occurred?

A recent SCAM call had information about me that I seriously consider to be from within O2 itself.

SPECIFICALLY:-

Name, address, D.O.B, email, bank sort code and account number. Also reference to a SIM plan that I had changed back in MAY2021.

Is it normal for this level of disclosure on a call from (allegedly) O2?

Is it normal to be told (I am stopping the call recording) prior to disclosing my bank details?

Is it normal to declare this offer valid only for today?

From the outset I had NO doubts this was a scammer, my issue is with the level of personal data they had and from WHERE IT CAME.

Lets all thrash this out as I need convincing this is not a data leak from within O2.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143451 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

"Trusted" partners

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

Ian128
  • 10 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Someone quoted "Trusted partners" before.  Clearly if that was the case then there is little evidence of a "Code of practice" when discussing personal details. Or indeed turning off the recording.

Still awaiting convincing.

Message 3 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143451 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Have you checked your marketing preferences in your MyO2 @Ian128 ?

BTW, I don't intend to "convince" you. That's up to you, but scammers are after your account details so they wouldn't call you if they already had them.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 12

Ian128
  • 10 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

"scammers are after your account details so they wouldn't call you if they already had them"

whilst that makes perfect sense, they asked for my 16 digit card number (and likely the CVV) something that would allow them to take money from me instantly.

Message 5 of 12

TR11
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Had the very same conversation (5th attempt since October) regarding a data breach! Like you have stated the caller had far too much information, on the call I received they also knew my billing date and date of DD. But CS said I’m wrong and they’re not at fault 

Message 6 of 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Ian128, @TR11 You're under no obligation to give any information to anyone who contacts you through a cold call, whether they're a 'trusted partner' or not. In fact, we always advise never talking to anyone who uses cold calling.

Block the number
Don’t give out any information.
O2 advice here:

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/phishing-and-smishing-advice
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/unwanted-calls-and-messages
How to block a number:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062352/

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201229

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 12

TR11
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

had no need to give my details! The caller had every possible kind of personal details! That sort of information could only be from a data breach! 

Ironically I was teaching a class of students GDPR when the call came through. 
CS deemed it was me at fault not O2. Abysmal service! 
countdown to contract being up, unless ofcom get me out of the contract under Data Breach regulations. 

I am sure O2 think their customers are dumb! 

Message 8 of 12

Ian128
  • 10 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have submitted a complaint to the ICO with all relevant info.  So far nothing posted on this forum has changed my opinion of this being a data breach.

Message 9 of 12

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9992 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@TR11 

Sorry you are talking BS

OfCom will do SFA as this isn't a data breach and OfCom will tell you to go away as they don't deal with consumer complaint you need to go through the resolution process.

The ICO will also not be interested, as you read and signed the T&C's in full knowledge of the terms which include this.

It is not a data breach it is a company who o2 have a formal relationship with and who they unfortunately share customer data with, now when you signed up to o2 you agreed to this little part of the contract. 

Now did you or did you not read, sign and agree to these terms and conditions when you signed up to?

If not, then for someone who is teaching GDPR it is about time you did...

Section 6 of the Terms and Conditions 

6. How we use your information - We will collect information about how you use our Services and third party services you use in conjunction with our Services, including for example your location and account activity, to enhance your overall experience with us and make it more relevant to you. We may use and analyse your personal details to help us run your Service(s) and account, including for credit checking and fraud prevention. We may share and combine that data and your information with carefully selected third parties for all those same reasons. Your information is treated in accordance with our Privacy Policy, which can be viewed here: o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/privacy-policy. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 10 of 12